Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wheres this ?

BIFFO

I saw a doco yesterday on  tunneling on the messines ridge,,a chap is talking about the Germans counter mining with a new Technic

using cast cement tubes to sink into the ground,I have  never seen this spot.I wrote to a battle field guide I know  with the below screen shots,MUCH to my surprise she doesn't know where it is

ang GWF ?  

tun 1.jpg

tun 2.jpg

tun 3.jpg

tun.jpg

Edited by BIFFO

I know I should know BUT I dont wheres that then Peter

Peter I sent your helpful reply to my friend in Belgium who says its in plug st,if they have time will go for a looksee Tuesday and take some photos,I seem to remember there is a similar"round tunnel" in the trenches at Bynerswald ?

Why and when would the Germans be mining in plug street?

Attached (hopefully) is a recent pic and a map showing the location (circled) in Grand Bois near wyteschaete. sorry it's not a trench map but I suppose you can find it.

The mineshaft was named Dietritch, wasn't used as it was overtaken by the British attack in the Messines ridge.

Peter

mine shaft dietritch.jpg

download (1).png

Looking at mebu's map, this appears to be the approximate site Biffo:

image.png.99f6c29cb5631971a938cf3878a574c3.png

Hello Biffo  Did your contact find anything in plug wood? Are the maps above of use to you in identifying the location, and do you now have the information you wanted, or do you need more?

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

thank you both for your help,im sorry the reply has taken a while but I never saw replies,I dont know if its me but I never see replies to my posts even when I tick replies.

Any way no my "contact"in Ypres isnt to well with a bad leg,so she never made it,im sure when she can get an appointment in hospital she will sort it out,as the moment tho she is  grief stricken Belgian norty men have closed most public places down,even the FRITS shops :w00t:

her favorite meal frits and mussels off the menu 

Edited by BIFFO

Biffo, sorry to hear that your contact is poorly, also it seems that most of Belgium is closed at present. However, you can assure her that there is absolutely no need to go to plug wood to look for the tunnel head you seek. In that wood are some British concrete pill boxes (Eccles, Eel Pie, Mount Everest etc), but no mines, German or British.

As stated above, Dietrich (there was also Daniel, but no trace now) is where it is marked on the maps posted earlier, in Grand Bois (the part now known as Wijtschatebos). There is no doubt about this.

It was constructed by German Pionier Mineur Kompagnien under Oberstleutnant Otto Füsslein . The concrete and steel rings, tubbing, was needed because of the wet sand layer. A factory in Tourcoing was established to manufacture the pieces there.  The estimated depth is 45 metres.

Hope this answers your query, Peter 

:thumbsup: