Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Harold Henry Nunn 37912 1/5th DCLI

carlosrocha

Hi I'm trying to find out some more info on the above person.

I cannot find info on when Harold joined the DCLI or was discharged (Harold isn't listed on the CWGC so presume he survived).

I've used the usual routes i.e. ancestry, pension records, findmypast etc but not sure where to go next. 

I tried searching on findmypast to see if there are any service records with a number near to Harold's but no joy.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Carlos

Hello Carlos

I think Numbers 37000 to 37999 Joined DCLI before December, 1917. Predominantly transferees to 1/5th Battalion from Territorial Reserve

John 

Hi Carlos

Found 37911 Job Nicklin but same as 37912 no other details other than on the MIC and medal award roll.  There is a Harold Henry Nunn b. 18.6.1899 Witney, Oxfordshire died Dec 1987 Oxfordshire COULD be a contender but no other info.

Regards Barry 

There may be additional information available via civil records such as birth, marriage and electoral registers.

The only likely birth record in England & Wales for a Harold Henry Nunn that I can see was recorded with the Civil Authorities in the Witney Registration District, (which is mainly Oxfordshire with a bit of Glouscestershire - see https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/witney.html

in the July to September quarter of 1899. Potentially thats births between mid-May 1899 to 30 September 1899.

Assuming thats the right individual then that in itself tells you that unless he lied about his aged he won't have been been called up until he reached his 18 birthday in 1917.

Just seen the Inspectors post - so likely to have been called up in June 1917 and would most likely have gone to a Training Reserve battalion which I think also ties in with johnmellings' post.

Cheers,

Peter

Hi All

Harold Henry Nunn, tree on Ancestry marrried Gladys Emily Room 4.8.1923 address Witney, Oxfordshire., he's looks to be the one . Died 29.12.1987 Witan House, Moorland Rd, Witney....still looking though !!

Regards Barry