Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Worcestershire Regiment

Lewis Rogers

I am attaching a postcard that I purchased some time ago which I believe to be of a large group of men of the Worcestershire Regiment. I have no other details and would be grateful if anyone can add any detail such as date, place etc. It looks to me to have been taken in France as the sign on the wall behind reads Café de la Bellevue. 

Cheers

Mark Rogers

Worcesters2.jpg

Edited by Lewis Rogers

• Admin

Looks like some have pioneer collar badges. One of officers cap badge and collar badges looks possibly Glosters? 

Michelle 

Alamy.com,  who claim it as a stock photo,  describe it as "Group photo, officers and men of the Worcestershire Regiment, in front of Café de la Belle Vue, Somme, Northern France."

https://c8.alamy.com/compfr/rjb8gc/photo-de-groupe-officiers-et-hommes-de-la-worcestershire-regiment-en-face-du-cafe-de-la-belle-vue-somme-nord-de-la-france-au-cours-de-la-premiere-guerre-mondiale-un-groupe-d-enfants-se-tournent-vers-le-bas-a-partir-du-haut-de-la-pente-rjb8gc.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Evidently far enough behind the front for children to be present.

Man standing at extreme right has a wound stripe so photo post-dates its introduction.

Edited by Chris_Baker

Some Overseas Chevrons visible on two of the sergeants on front row left.  The sergeant on the left may also have a Good Conduct chevron.  Behind him, there's a L/Cpl with a clear GC chevron and a battle flash ....

1350016422_Worcesters-Overseaschevrons01.jpg.7b19a3ba46bd5fac6af15e6be14fc470.jpg

If, as seems likely, this is the Severn Valley Pioneers, then the overseas chevrons should help with a date, but bearing in mind an SNCO may have gone out earlier with a different battalion.

Mark

Edited by MBrockway

Could this officer (left) be Major D N Rowe, 14/Worcesters (right)?

603154594_PossiblyMajRowe.jpg.5030eacf6501d054e66cb0223567edaa.jpgMaj_D_N_Rowe.jpg.c95f2140e2c8c01d7f9a21690a970608.jpg

• Admin
57 minutes ago, MBrockway said:

Could this officer (left) be Major D N Rowe, 14/Worcesters (right)?

Hello Mark, yes I am sure that it is. He was wounded on 25th March 1918. So looking on the Worcestershire Regt site, there are a list of places that they were resting at and I would think it would be before that date.  A quick glance on Google did not reveal any obvious locations of the cafe on a steep bank. The search continues. Regards, Bob.

Edited by Bob Davies
to add some....