Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

How about this for a stroke of luck?

DCLI

I recently bought a fairly non-descript ASC trio on ebay, for £60. After I had bought it I thought it a bit expensive so I re-advertised it, with a reserve of £60. I don't especially collect ASC, but at the time it seemed a nice trio (no such thing as a bad trio anyway). Then someone asked me a question about the group - turned out to be one of us, a Pal off The Forum. His queries and answers to my questions led me to the man's MIC.

Turns out the man transferred from the ASC to the Cameron Highlanders and went to Galipoli.

I am now going to hang on to this treasured group (my first Galipoli medals).

Any help anyone can give me on this man or his unit would be well received.

The man in question is S/50097 Cpl Thomas Coe, Cameron Highlanders (aka Dvr T4/045125, ASC).

I shall also research him as best I can.

regards to all

post-23-1108146485.jpg

On the faith that there is no stupid question... and also with the disclaimer that I rarely venture into threads in this area of the Forum.... I'll venture a few basic questions.

1. What is ASC?

2. Why is this medal trio important? In general, not this specific set.

3. What are the medals?

:ph34r: annoymous pal.....

I agree no question is stupid - mystifying maybe.

ASC is Army Service Corps - delivered the rations and other supplies to the front-line troops.

The group is not especially important, but it the history behind them is. This man went to Galipoli and survived, no mean feat. And for a collector, great research potential, great history.

The medals are the 1915 Star, the British War medal and the Victory Medal.

But if you have little or no interest in medals, then none of the aforementioned will have any interest for you.

I find it strange that a Lt Colonel doesn't know what the ASC is - or is this a wind-up?

I find it strange that a Lt Colonel doesn't know what the ASC is - or is this a wind-up?

Remember even desk warriors can climb in rank with enough time served!

Actually my interests are mostly in the battles and books rather than medals, units, or specific individuals. I suppose it was your thread name that got me to click, and since no one else had posted I thought the audience would be small enough so that I wouldn't embarass myself. As its only you and me so far my cover hasn't been blown. ;)

Andy

Fear not, your secret is safe with me - I embarress myself often here, with my questioning - but the Pals are a pretty decent bunch and mainly accept the yearning for learning, which also allows them to show off - just a little.

These forums hold an unbelievable wealth of information. And aren't I glad.

regards

I recently bought a fairly non-descript ASC trio on ebay, for £60. After I had bought it I thought it a bit expensive so I re-advertised it, with a reserve of £60. I don't especially collect ASC, but at the time it seemed a nice trio (no such thing as a bad trio anyway). Then someone asked me a question about the group - turned out to be one of us, a Pal off The Forum. His queries and answers to my questions led me to the man's MIC.

Turns out the man transferred from the ASC to the Cameron Highlanders and went to Galipoli.

I am now going to hang on to this treasured group (my first Galipoli medals).

Any help anyone can give me on this man or his unit would be well received.

The man in question is S/50097 Cpl Thomas Coe, Cameron Highlanders (aka Dvr T4/045125, ASC).

I shall also research him as best I can.

regards to all

It shows that even ASC medals shouldn't be dismissed and also how well trained the early recruits (or was he a regular?) were.

Fred

Never dismiss anything.

A couple of my trios and supposed non casualty sets held a few secrets.

A Lincs trio, hard enough to come by anyway, turned out to be 6th Bn. and Galipolli

non casualty, then in France got himself an MM. I'd love to be able to get hold of that. Pte Percy Maltby, if anyone knows its whereabouts.

Then the DLI trio to John Kane, first in line to volunteer in 1914 by the date on his attestation papers, then realised he didnt like army life. A charge sheet you could print on a toilet roll.

These things are the dream of collectors. A bit of character, real interest.

LeeinLincs