Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Seeking confirmation a (2nd) mid for James Lloyd Findlay

Errol Martyn

Captain James Lloyd Findlay, East Surrey Regiment (later RFC & RAF) is recorded with a Mention in Despatches, 1 Jan 1916. Back in New Zealand after the war, in his New Zealand Defence Force service record papers he states that he was Mentioned twice during WWI. Is anyone able to confirm for me, please, a second mention for him, and if so on what date.

TIA,

Errol

Hi Errol

I cannot find an entry in the London Gazette but his second mention could have been an Air Ministry Mention which would have been recorded in the Times.

Steve

Thanks Steve,

Not all mids are searchable in the online version of the LG for some reasons or other.

I was hoping someone might have access to the Michael Maton volumes that list all of the WWI mids; no set near at hand here in distant New Zealand, unfortunately!

Cheers,

Errol

Hi Errol,

I can confirm that Michael Maton, in his publication "Honour Those Mentioned in the Great War - Mentions in Despatches 1914 - 1922", lists only the one M.I.D. for J. L. Findlay, the one of 1 January 1916.

The only result of a search in The Times for J. L. Findlay from 1 January 1918 to 31 December 1922 was the resignation of his commission as a Flying Officer on 31 August 1921.

You are no doubt aware of his M.C. but another honour found via a Michael Maton publication was his Legion d'Honneur (Croix de Chevalier) https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30043/supplement/4156

Harry

Thanks Harry, much appreciated.

I have Maton's 'Foreign Awards' volume, so was aware of Findlay's LoH, but always better told twice than never!

Cheers,

Errol