Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German medal to be identified (2)

battle of loos

good morning,

I need your help to identify the decorations this soldier is wearing.

I.R. 26

here's the picture :

2142652505_JR26-Copie.jpg.beca3d6e76a5ea3af3ed8d28f4c20b4b.jpg

thank's in advance.

regards

michel

Edited by battle of loos

looking at the size I would say they are miniature/dress ribbons so a bit confusing.

left one black/white/black/white/black of the Iron cross 2nd class the two outer blacks being nnarrow and hardly visible.

right one the Hindenburg medal /cross of honour white/black/red multiple lines.

some IC2 had wide central black others had two thinner blacks ,difficult to actually say as the Germans used similar ribbons on similar medals

IR 26 was a Saxon Regiment. It was common for a soldier to be awarded the Iron Cross and at the same time to receive a military merit medal from his state. So he wears the Iron Cross 2nd class and a Saxon medal of merit that I do not know.

1 hour ago, fritz said:

IR 26 was a Saxon Regiment. It was common for a soldier to be awarded the Iron Cross and at the same time to receive a military merit medal from his state. So he wears the Iron Cross 2nd class and a Saxon medal of merit that I do not know.

IR 26 was not Saxon, but Magdeburg (Province of Prussian Saxony, it's not the same as the Kingdom of Saxony). It is also not certain that the man even belonged to IR 26, it may be an other unit with number 26.

Jan

good evening,

thank's for your answer.

here is a remnant of iron cross ribbon this fixing to the buttonhole (found in Artois) :

653379495_croixdefer(1).JPG.1733df84b7a954fc24ceb5e13562963e.JPG1930118500_croixdefer(2).JPG.4f3562a090e3291f9737da2bec8ac224.JPG

regards

Michel

5 hours ago, chaz said:

looking at the size I would say they are miniature/dress ribbons so a bit confusing.

left one black/white/black/white/black of the Iron cross 2nd class the two outer blacks being nnarrow and hardly visible.

right one the Hindenburg medal /cross of honour white/black/red multiple lines.

some IC2 had wide central black others had two thinner blacks ,difficult to actually say as the Germans used similar ribbons on similar medals

They are "Feldspange" which were 15mm wide for each ribbon. The Iron Cross 2 for a combatant had the wide central black. The two narrow black striped ribbon was for non-combatants.

The Hindenburg Cross was first awarded in 1934 and to my (very untrained!) eyes the uniform looks too early for it to be an Honour Cross. My gut feeling is that the one on the right is a Bavarian cross of military merit:

ribbon.jpg.6d52f1e461c9b799a383e55a6390c925.jpg

Dave

I would say the second ribbon is for an Austrian medal for bravery or merit, which would make the man someone who had been on the Eastern Front (Reserve Infanterie Regiment 26?). Anyway, without more details about the man in question, this is all speculation.

Good evening,

A big thank you for your research.

here's a list that includes the number "26"

can be a Bavarian.

Infanterie-Regiment Fürst Leopold von Anhalt-Desau (1. Magdeburgisches) Nr. 26)  X

Reserve-Infanterie Regiment Nr. 26  V 

Landwehr-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 26 

Landsturm-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 26   X

26. IR (KB) Kgl. Bayer. 26. Infanterie-Regiment   X

I thought this soldier was at JR 26.
Of course not.

regards

michel

Edited by battle of loos

Hello,

The ribbon bar is not Bavarian style, it is definitely Prussian style.

I don't think it is Landsturm-Infanterie-Regiment 26, as the man would in that case most probably have worn the Landsturm battalion numbers on the collar.

Jan

good evening,

I had not paid attention to this detail of Landsturm

thank's for your answer.

regard

michel