The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

One for the detectives in you

Dazscuba

I have been lucky enough to gain a Victory and W medal for a

1) Driver 616491 G Earle RHA.   (G for George on MIC)

and can find his MIC and other medal card but that’s it, they also came with two paper dog tags which I assumed were for him but on looking it shows a

2) 1038801 Driver GW Earle but can’t find this number anywhere or any information on them on Ancestry. The 1 at the beginning and 1 at the end look like a capital I but the service number would start with 0 which does not work.

please see image of one of the dog tags 

2F26B92A-E95B-4D81-B53E-2CD74AFC7482.jpeg.d36aa7f136197260815627c77b625c1c.jpeg

thanks for looking 

Daz

3 minutes ago, Dazscuba said:

2) 1038801 Driver GW Earle but can’t find this number anywhere or any information on them on Ancestry. The 1 at the beginning and 1 at the end look like a capital I but the service number would start with 0 which does not work.

7 digit numbers are post 1920. His number would fit as Royal Artillery.

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/new-british-army-numbers-issued-in-1920/

Craig

Craig as usual thanks for such a quick reply and very interesting. No wonder I can’t find anything at all about him. As such don’t know dob, where lived, died etc. Only have two pages in his file Mic and medal card 

thanks again 

daz

FMP have a royal artillery attestation for that number for Chas W Earle, From Henley-on-Thames, Gives 2 former numbers 616491 and 265827. So appears to be same man but some inconsistancy in records. Service 6/9/15 to 1/2/19 then re-attested 2/2/19 and get the new number. Says France 17-19, then India 19. But says he attested in Belgium. That is a bit confusing. Discharged 20/12/22.

Age on re-enlistment 22y 7 mths so c1896 birth

Edited by Mark1959

Always the same I have Ancestry and always in FMP lol.

looks like a new subscription 

thanks again for your assistance 

Daz