Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Google Earth - Trench Map Grids

Gus1914

Hello all, I saw a KMZ file for Google Earth which was the Trench Map Grids for the Western Front... I can't find it now so does anyone know where the KMZ is on the internet or does anyone have a copy please...?

3 hours ago, jonbem said:

Thanks, the one I saw was definitely a .KMZ file to use in Google Earth... It's not the maps, it's just the Grids...

8 hours ago, Gus1914 said:

Google Earth which was the Trench Map Grids for the Western Front

Hi Gus, I developed KML for all of the sheets covered by McMaster University.  They're reasonably large files so I did them as 20 separate files.  You are welcome to them all for personal use if it helps or I could programmatically do a set for Sheets 5 -> 76 over the next week.  Attached is a sample for Sheet 28 Ypres, which can be zoomed right down to the letter - number - grid and in at least one square per file the x and y ordinates.

image.png.e64123baf2664b4fac1e4bf1fa52d501.png

image.png.617f334f6e515bfe94635942bb7e9eea.png

Files copyright tMapper

Sheet 28 Ypres.kml

• 6 months later...
On 21/02/2020 at 23:47, WhiteStarLine said:

Hi Gus, I developed KML for all of the sheets covered by McMaster University.  They're reasonably large files so I did them as 20 separate files.  You are welcome to them all for personal use if it helps or I could programmatically do a set for Sheets 5 -> 76 over the next week.  Attached is a sample for Sheet 28 Ypres, which can be zoomed right down to the letter - number - grid and in at least one square per file the x and y ordinates.

image.png.e64123baf2664b4fac1e4bf1fa52d501.png

image.png.617f334f6e515bfe94635942bb7e9eea.png

Files copyright tMapper

Sheet 28 Ypres.kml 34.13 kB · 10 downloads

Oh thanks for that, I've only just see this WSL...