Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

30 June 1918 missing from War Office casualty lists

Ottawa1880

Hello all, it has been a while since I posted last. I have been looking at the War Office casualty lists for 1918 (https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/144770895) trying to find a record of my grandfather. He was a pilot in the RAF and was wounded (his records say "acc" - assumed accident) on the June 30. Interestingly Volume 48 ends at 29 June and Volume 49 starts at 1 July. I can't seem to find him anywhere. I have his casualty cards and service records but wanted to find him on this list too. Not a big thing just a curiosity. Any suggestions? Paul

He perhaps may have been in a casualty List for another date, and I note NLS database is missing List No. 63, October 1918 . I seem to recall a statement that there may be up to a two months delay for a casualty to be reported in the Lists, but cannot be sure of this statement.

Alternatively, I have noted pages where the margins have been cropped in the scanning, which would not show up in a search. Also I have seen comments that the text is so small, there are errors with the OCR, which means there will be errors with the serarch

You could try another source such as Findmypast or British Newspaper Archive. Findmypast has two databases

1.  British Army, First World War Casualty Lists and British Army, First World War Casualty Lists Image Browse findmypast, in addition to volumes in the Newspaper database

Cheers

Maureen

Thank you Maureen. That would make a lot of sense. I guess we expect instantaneous listing these days. I can only imagine how difficult it would be to collect and disseminate information at that time. I have found details on this site (http://www.airhistory.org.uk/rfc/files/_casbook.csv) but would like to be able to see the original documents. I do know now that he was flying a DH9 when he was injured. They were notoriously unreliable and far more crashed than were shot down.

Edited by Ottawa1880
Autocorrects were wrong