Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Badge / Collar badge ID suggestions?

mtaylor

This photo was taken on Perth (Scotland!) Station platform I guess during the first half of the Gt War. There are two RMLI soldiers but does anyone have any suggestions as to the cavalryman on the right? Only the general shape of the cap badge / collar badge are visible. Suggestions welcome. (I thought ANZAC when I first saw it but unlikely I guess). Yeomanry? Any suggestions welcome.

IMG_20200216_181113.jpg

I agree that he is most likely Yeomanry.  Scottish Horse wore a hat like that between the Boer War and 1914.  Also the Lovat Scouts, I seem to recall.

C36A1306-2920-456B-981E-77B2927AEBAE.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

If we're talking about this man I would say ANZAC. As the badge is the same shape as the ANZAC cap badge and the hat fits.

IMG_20200216_181113.jpg.80e1759ce1a7a7ca5c9945624f7e13cb~2.jpg

Edited by Jools mckenna

The cap badge on the front does have similarities with the Australian rising sun, for sure, but looking at the RMLI dress isn’t this too early in the war to be ANZAC?  I guess it depends on the date of the photo.  You could well be right.

Edited by FROGSMILE

My first thought was Anzac too but what's he doing in Scotland plus I thought the photo looked a bit early - although it is undated. There were plenty of expat Scots in the Imperial forces though. Thanks for your thoughts.

35 minutes ago, Jools mckenna said:

If we're talking about this man I would say ANZAC. As the badge is the same shape as the ANZAC cap badge and the hat fits.

IMG_20200216_181113.jpg.80e1759ce1a7a7ca5c9945624f7e13cb~2.jpg

I think Australian for sure. The collar badge is definitely the Rising Sun badge.  Pete.

37 minutes ago, CorporalPunishment said:

I think Australian for sure. The collar badge is definitely the Rising Sun badge.  Pete.

Well spotted, Pete, I think that the collar badge corroborates the ID handsomely.

Thank you gents. The photo must be younger than I thought - after the ANZACs had arrived in the west. This chaps bandolier presumably indicates cavalry or transport?