Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Standard Pattern Simplified, Service Dress Jacket.

Toby Brayley

On a recent research visit to the Imperial War Museum reserve collection I got to handle and photograph the 1914 SP of the Simplified Service Dress. Here are some photos for those interest in the S.D Jacket.  Sadly I have a camera malfunction (on that day of all days) and this was all I have left, but I still hope it provides and interesting study.  Sealed on 3.11.1914.    

Many thanks to the staff at the reserve collection, who were incredibly helpful.  This one was not on my pre-arranged list of items but they were kind enough to still bring it out and show me! 

SD1.jpg.fd8168ea1ddec004e1d2f54e9ea4be67.jpg21997582_SD2.jpg.e209af31cb9bc0e2d3a2e40fa7e1fc59.jpgSD4.jpg.5f6be27e644d2de47335ea209ba69e01.jpg1819636308_SD3.jpg.d6430686179f7bdcd3df037b9510539a.jpg

Capture.JPG

Edited by Toby Brayley

Superb photos, Toby.  Thank you for posting them.  I can imagine how you felt when your camera malfunctioned.

Interestingly this example has the pleats shown in your second image, some others don't have these pleats, could they have been peculiar to the Royal Army Clothing Department jackets?

5 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

I can imagine how you felt when your camera malfunctioned.

You're welcome, most annoyed does not even begin to cover it. But at least I have an excuse to go back! 

4 hours ago, Gardenerbill said:

Interestingly this example has the pleats shown in your second image, some others don't have these pleats, could they have been peculiar to the Royal Army Clothing Department jackets?

Did the jacket under go further simplified modifications? or perhaps differences in manufacturer?  This example was declared obsolete in 1915. 

Here is a link to the IWM online collections website, much better shots of the interior! 

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30094279

Edited by Toby Brayley

4 hours ago, Gardenerbill said:

This is a misapprehension I believe - as I have never seen a Simplified without the pleats.

If you take the five examples featured in the Campaign series books for instance: all five have the pleats and they are a mixture of US and British manufactured items.

Cheers,

GT.

38 minutes ago, Gardenerbill said:

Hi GT,

In this topic there appear to be 3 men in simplified SD jackets (see 4th image) but only 1 has the pleats?

If you pull that pic right up, all three of them have pleats - the centre and right-hand man with them just poking out from under their collars.

The pleats aren't as long as the chap's on the left, yet they are there, and the length would simply be manufacturer variation IMHO.

Cheers,

GT.

Great pictures Toby thanks for sharing I am on the hunt for one of these jackets so your pics provide extra reference.

Thanks  Mark