Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cottbus POW Camp Uniforms and Nationalities

ilkley remembers

1 hour ago, Jack Robson said:

Hello, 

I collect many images of soldiers from all nationalities in the Great War and it’s been fascinating to find so many who served.

I’ve just bought this photograph and it’s the same image of John Power at Cottbus at a different angle, probably between the photos. 
Can you verify his regimental number? I’ve found a SGT John Power 7807, just checking if this is him? 

Many Thanks, Jack

F66B71BE-7D51-47A7-A93B-28CC1CF96F46.jpeg

Hi Jack,

The service record of 7807 Serjeant John Power, 1st Bn, W. York. R., confirms he was reported missing on 22/09/1914, later confirmed as having been taken prisoner, tallying with the ICRC records for Cottbus camp, showing he was captured on 20/09/1914.

Chris

1 hour ago, Jack Robson said:

Can you verify his regimental number? I’ve found a SGT John Power 7807, just checking if this is him? 

Yes thats 7807 John Power of 1st Battalion West Yorks. captured 20th Sept 1914. You have a slightly more formal photo than the one I have. This is Powers ID card

j power 2.jpg

Edited by ilkley remembers

21 minutes ago, ilkley remembers said:

Yes thats 7807 John Power of 1st Battalion West Yorks. captured 20th Sept 1914. You have a slightly more formal photo than the one I have. This is Powers ID card

j power 2.jpg

Thank you for confirming Chris, that is great and the additional photograph as well is fantastic! I can send you a scanned copy of the photo postcard when it arrives if you like. 
All the best, Jack 

• 10 months later...

As you no doubt know, Powers has some service papers on FMP which confirm, inter alia, that he was awarded the India GS medal (with NWF Clasp 1908): Is that the medal ribbon he's wearing in the POW photos?

On 02/03/2021 at 11:00, FROGSMILE said:

I am puzzled by “dispatch” as that usually means to send and presumably they only received parcels there.

Two years too late but its distribution centre not dispatch centre

Charlie

1 hour ago, charlie2 said:

Two years too late but its distribution centre not dispatch centre

Charlie

Thanks Charlie, that makes much more sense.