Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Christmas pudding for the Belgians... who's delivering?

mconrad

A news agency picture, apparently from late 1914.  Two Belgian soldiers are in the foreground, but who is that on horseback?  Mountie? Frontiersman?

BelgianXMASpudding1.jpg

BelgianXMASpudding2.jpg

Edited by mconrad
Placement

Legion of Frontiersmen, almost certainly.  Not only do the three uniform features of campaign hat, gauntlets and shoulder chains refer implicitly, but that unit’s first and very early operational deployment in WW1 was to Belgium.  There was much print media coverage of their arrival, etc. at the time. I seem to recall that some of their arms were provided by the Belgian government.  In part this was a retort to the fact that their offer to serve had not received a positive response from the British War Office, the implication being that they were at worst a bunch of fantasist cranks and at best naive adventurers.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Bit strange. The Belgians don't have Christmas puddings, and whenever I took one into the office, had never heard  of them and weren't particularly impressed i.e. didn't really like them.

1 hour ago, healdav said:

Bit strange. The Belgians don't have Christmas puddings, and whenever I took one into the office, had never heard  of them and weren't particularly impressed i.e. didn't really like them.

I strongly suspect it was much more about publicity.  There was quite a bit of controversy about the LOF deployment at the time I seem to recall.

16 hours ago, Terry_Reeves said:

As I understand it his name was Nicholas.

TR

Who was? Franc?

Edited by FROGSMILE

17 hours ago, Keith_history_buff said:

To avoid being shot as francs-tireurs, if captured, they referred to themselves as the British Colonial Horse. 
https://www.greatwarforum.org/search/?q="British Colonial Horse"&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy

Interesting, Keith, the thread confirms that they were armed with Belgian issue, Mauser carbines.