The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

On this day february the 14th 1916

RaySearching

270025997_WrattenGeorgeEdward.jpg.6bc12f23a3d9c5ef9adf85bb13d9d2f6.jpg

WRATTEN GEORGE EDWARD

Private GEORGE EDWARD WRATTEN

2642 4th Bn Yorkshire Regiment

George entered the theatre of war in France on the 9th October 1915 and was killed in action aged 36 during fighting on Hill 60 on February 14th 1916

Lieut Hutchinson wrote to Mrs Wratten

I am very sorry to have to inform that Pte G E Wratten was killed by the explosion of a mine under our trench on Feb 14th.

He was buried with soil, but dug out as soon as possible by his pals, but life was extinct and we could nothing for him.

I hope you will accept the sympathy of myself and the NCOs and men of this company in your sad loss. He had only lately joined us and we were getting to know him when he was taken from us.

He was buried about 2 miles behind the line in a cemetery for soldiers. I hope later to be able to obtain a photograph of his grave for you his belongings will be sent to you by our headquarters, but if I can do anything for you, I will be pleased to do so.

George was the son of Edmund and Jane Wratten and the husband of Mary Wratten (nee Roe)

The couple married in the Guisborough registration district in 1904 George can be found on the 1911 census residing at 40 Ings Lane Brotton with his wife and three children, employed as builder’s labourer

George has only loose Middlesbrough connections as a builder’s labourer he travelled around the area residing wherever he could find employment, his family after his death moved to Middlesbrough and the marriage records show his daughter married in Middlesbrough,

The register of soldiers’ effects lists his widow Mary as the sole legatee of his effects

The claimant of a dependant’s pension is listed as Mary (widow) born 30/5/1881 of 46 Waterloo Road Middlesbrough with an allowance for four children Joseph-Edmund born 7/12/1904, John-Henry born 14/1/1906, Ethel-Maud born 28/5/1909 and George-Ernest born 18/3/1914

Born Staithes enlisted Brotton                       (N.E.D.G 25th February 1916 In memoriam 14th Feb 1918)

RAILWAY DUGOUTS BURIAL GROUND  Brotton war memorial / Middlesbrough war memorial