Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Dangan

Unknown uniform

Dangan

Hi

Can anyone shed a light on this uniform please.

Many thanks 

C5793440-96F0-4D0F-9A50-EA1BB10CBEE1.jpeg

FROGSMILE

He is a soldier of a British Hussar cavalry of the line regiment.  Unfortunately the uniform was quite generic and without proper colour rendering it’s difficult to say precisely which regiment and generally insignia was not used on the pill box cap.  Collar badges were eventually introduced but this photo predates their adoption.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Dangan

Many thanks. 
This is a mystery as I know he served in 22nd London Regiment, but can’t work out why the Hussar uniform.

Ron Clifton

The pill-box cap places the photo in the late Victorian or Edwardian period. He may have served in a Hussar (or Yeomanry) Regiment and re-enlisted in 22/Londons after the outbreak of war.

Ron

squirrel

Perhaps he served in a Hussar regiment before joining 22nd (County of London) battalion (Queen's) London Regiment?  

I see Ron beat me to it...

Edited by squirrel

Dangan

Thank you.

i have now been informed that a colour/coloured photo exists and that the uniform has been coloured dark blue (navy) or black

RICH G

Hi

Can't help on the uniform but may be able to help on the 22nd London side, What is his name?

Rich

Dangan

Jefferson Gann Service number 5525

died 1st Nov 1916

RICH G

He is listed as died at home Uk in Winchester. Service number on effects form is 5955. Which is also on SDGW. Unable to find Medal index card or medal roll entry, but will keep looking. He is on the Bermondsey war memorial for the 22nd's. Good to get a face to the name.

Dangan

SDGW can you please explain? Bermondsey war memorial, I didn’t know that.

Died of gunshot wounds at Winall Camp, Winchester 

corisande

There is a fairly detailed Ancestry tree - click - which includes links to most of the sources quoted in this thread, but does not say cause of death

corisande

His Pension Card on Fold 3 says he "died of GSW on Active Service"

FROGSMILE

If there was no ‘murder’ reported in this case then the implication of a death by GSW on active service at Winchester is suicide.  Such a cause of death at that time is by no means unusual.

Edited by FROGSMILE

corisande
1 minute ago, FROGSMILE said:

If there was no ‘murder’ reported in this case then the implication of a death by GSW on active service at Winchester is suicide.  Such a cause of death at that time is by no means unusual.

That was my feeling, but I was trying to get confirmation.

There were no newspaper reports that I could find, which tends to point to suicide rather than murder or accidentally shot by another soldier.

But one cannot really say without proof.

FROGSMILE
12 minutes ago, corisande said:

That was my feeling, but I was trying to get confirmation.

There were no newspaper reports that I could find, which tends to point to suicide rather than murder or accidentally shot by another soldier.

But one cannot really say without proof.

Yes, I agree, but even back then I would have expected some media coverage of an unusual death at that time in Winchester.

Edited by FROGSMILE

RICH G

Was Winchester a hospital or a recuperation camp? As he may have received GSW in France and died as a result of the original wound . I have seen the term GSW used for many types of injury including shrapnel injuries.

FROGSMILE
45 minutes ago, RICH G said:

Was Winchester a hospital or a recuperation camp? As he may have received GSW in France and died as a result of the original wound . I have seen the term GSW used for many types of injury including shrapnel injuries.

There were two military hospitals in Winchester, they covered over 350 hospital beds.

Dangan

As I understand it Winnall Down, Morn Hill were transit camps.

FROGSMILE

Recuperation camps were regional.  There wasn’t one in Winchester.

PhilB
11 hours ago, RICH G said:

I have seen the term GSW used for many types of injury including shrapnel injuries.

As shrapnel results from a gunshot, probably rightly classed as GSW?:thumbsup:

MaxD

Related thread:

Max

corisande
1 hour ago, MaxD said:

Related thread:

Makes me wonder why I bother :angry:

Why did the OP waste our time on basically the same thing

ss002d6252

It does appear that there has been a lot of wasted effort here between the two threads being started. This thread is being locked - link to the other thread is shown above.

Can we please try not to open multiple threads regarding the same men as it tends to cause issues @Dangan

Craig