Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Buttons - 17th & 19th London Regt.

Alan24

Did either of these battalions wear black buttons?

I have postcard purporting to be 19th LR with brass buttons. The cap badge looks like 19th but could possibly be 17th. Unfortunately the middle which should show XIX is burnt out.

I'm hoping the 17th had black buttons which will prove this is 19th. 

Whilst the 3/19LR arrived in Winchester in Jan 1916, the photo features no pocket pleats, stiff cap and 1914 leather belt which gives it an earlier look.

Whilst the 17th were Stepney & Poplar Rifles, is it correct to refer to the 19th as St. Pancras Rifles. Both cap badges were based on RB but I've not seen 19th referred to as Rifles.

Regards

Alan.

19thLR.JPG

19 cap.JPG

Edited by Alan24

Thanks Max. Didn't know that.

This card is a Winchester  photographer. 

16 RB were at Hursley Park near Winchester from Aug 1915 but I would have thought they would definitely have had black buttons.

So I would say unlikely to be 16RB.

Regards

Alan.

Alan,

There was a great shortage of the Rifles black buttons. I have many a photograph or postcards of Rifle Brigade men with a mixture of GS and black buttons. 

Andy

Also bear in mind that in the Territorial Force battalions styled as Rifles, black buttons were usually a private purchase. Not everyone purchased them and issue jackets were fitted with General Service buttons.

Looking at the shape of the four main voided areas on the badge I would go for 19th Londons. There is no sign of a tablet below the crown either, ruling out the 17th Londons.   Pete.

All battalions with a formally acknowledged and accepted rifles title, including London Regiment battalions, were entitled to black buttons, but in times of shortage these were only issued when available.

Edited by FROGSMILE

16 hours ago, CorporalPunishment said:

Looking at the shape of the four main voided areas on the badge I would go for 19th Londons. There is no sign of a tablet below the crown either, ruling out the 17th Londons.   Pete.

Thanks Pete, that pretty much confirms it.

Thanks to everyone else regarding buttons.

Regards

Alan.