Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

medal query

AMANDADAVEY

Mandy.

The Iraq clasp sounds like it would have belonged to a 1918-1962 General Service Medal.

The Clasp is a "bar" worn on the ribbon to denote the area in which he would have served. This clasp would have simply said IRAQ.

Would have looked like this.

Hope this helps.

Mark

post-23-1108080945.jpg

thank you so much for that-he did also recieve the gs medal you mentioned, so, and excuse me if it's a stupid question-he served in iraq? is that right? i don't seem to have seen anything on iraq anywhere, where can i find out more? my grandad was called harold william knight dob 15/01/1901 a lorry driver in the royal horse artillery-no date, his army number was K1036777.

Mandy.

The short answer is Yes, he would have served in Iraq.

The qualifing criteria for the clasp are as follows...

1. Served at Ramadi or north of a line east and west through Ramadi between 10 December 1919 and 13 June 1920.

Or...

2. Part of an establishment within Iraq between 1 July and 17 November 1920.

I'm sorry but I can't help with any personal details, there are however, more knowledgable forum members that can.

Hope you find what your looking for.

Best of luck.

Mark

my grandad was called harold william knight dob 15/01/1901 a lorry driver in the royal horse artillery-no date, his army number was K1036777.

Mandy

As your grandfather served after WWI, his papers are still held by the MOD.

Fred

i don't seem to have seen anything on iraq anywhere, where can i find out more?

Mandy

As far as I know, not much has written about it, there are some detailed files at the National Archives. How much detail do you want? Iraq was formed from the carve up of Ottoman Empire; the British invaded in 1914 and took over its administration after World War One and were there up to the 1930s.

All the best

Fred

thanks fred. i have just been looking at the ww1 web site, i just want to find out what his life was like and what sort of things he did.

mandy

The fire power has increased, but the on the ground operations (and in the air) in 1919/20 read remarkably like what is happening now. It might have helped if Mr Blair had read the files.

Fred

The only book that I have found on the Arab Rebellion 1920 is "The Insurrection in Mesopotamia 1920" by Sir A. Haldane. He mentions 'A' and 'F' Batteries RHA.

Steve