Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

another Churchill in the War

Patrick Mooney

I have a photo in my collection of Major Jack Churchill, on his return from Turkey taken at St Omer in February 1916. Is this possibly a relative of Winston and where might I find out about more about his siblings?

Puzzled on this side of the Atlantic... :blink:

Patrick

I posted too quickly...I easily found a reference to his brother John Strange (Jack) Churchill being born in Dublin on February 4, 1880, so he would have been 36 at the time the photo was taken in St. Omer.

Now - for help on his military record???

Patrick

I have a QSA and 1914 Trio to first 15106 Tpr. J. Churchill 74th Coy. Imp. Yeo. that was the Dublin company and then RTS-2413 Strpr. J. Churchill ASC I know it can't be Jack Churchill but does anyone want to make my year ! by saying he is some relation even though he is such a low rank :P

Conor :D

A Major Jack Churchill was indeed Winston's brother although I understand there has been some debate in years past as to whether Randolph Churchill was Jack's father. Probably the work of gossip mongerers but possibly this is of interest to you all the same.

Interesting that he is rumored to be a "sprog" of the Churchill clan. His photo (which I don't have by me at the moment but will post) bears a striking resemblance to the man himself.

I have found nothing in the research that mentions the scandalous aspect - all the better.

Does anyone know what regiment he was in? the photo is of him almost in profile or 3/4 turned, so his badges are not visible.

Patrick

Patrick

Major John (Jack) Churchill of the Royal Oxfordshire Hussars was on Sir Ian Hamilton's staff at Gallipoli as his camp commandant and he was the only one of Hamilton's original staff to set off for Gallipoli with some active service if France already under his belt. According to Michael Hickey (page 317) however, he did not make a good job of it (running the camp). It's possible that Hamilton saw him as a useful backdoor route to get points across to his brother, the First Lord of the Admiralty.

re your last point; Compton Mackenzie describes him as a beefy man with round cheeks, which rather fits in with a general picture which we all have of a Churchill

Regards

Michael D.R.

Guest Hill 60
I have a QSA and 1914 Trio to first 15106 Tpr. J. Churchill 74th Coy. Imp. Yeo. that was the Dublin company and then RTS-2413 Strpr. J. Churchill ASC I know it can't be Jack Churchill but does anyone want to make my year ! by saying he is some relation even though he is such a low rank

Conor - You could try contacting Bletchley Park. They have a big interest in Winston Churchill, you never know, they might be able to help.

e-mail:

info@bletchleypark.org.uk.

I know its along way off but those interested there is a book being written for publishing in 2005 that studies Winston and Jack Churchill

this link gives some info on one of the authors

www.firstworldwar.bham.ac.uk/leecelia.htm

Arm.

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies All,

After consulting the ever helpful Kate Wills, I think that the historian whom I quoted earlier was probably mistaken regarding the correct title of Jack Churchill's regiment. In 1915 it would have been known as the Queen's Own Oxfordshire Hussars (the 'Royal' was dropped earlier in the nineteenth century)

Regards

Michael D.R.

The history of of the Queen’s Own Oxfordshire Hussars contains several references to Major Jack Churchill, and Winston too.

Jack was a stockbroker who had fought in the Boer War with the South African Light Horse. By 1914 he was 2/ic D (Banbury) Squadron of the QOOH. Prior to disembarkation Jack rang the Admiralty several times requesting a long list of equipment, and “the real cause of our delay in starting was the non-arrival of the special train containing all the transport, swords and equipment which were to be sent down by the Admiralty”.

The Regimental History also recouts this incident:

"On the 29th September the Naval Division moved inland to Cassel, 19+ miles away, and the Regiment went on to Hazebrouck, 5 miles farther south, a town of about 12,000 inhabitants, 28 miles W.N.W. of Lille, and a railway junction of great strategical importance.

On arrival at Hazebrouck the Regiment was met by a priest, who informed them that the advanced guard of “D” Squadron had been taken by the inhabitants for Germans. He was introduced to the officers, and on meeting Major Churchill said, “Are you the son of the man who made a great speech about ‘Trust the people’? “On being answered in the affirmative, he began quoting Lord Randolph Churchill’s speech at length. It was then discovered that the priest was the Abbé Lemire, a member of the Chamber of Deputies, and a considerable personality in the district."

Major Churcill did see two months action in France, but in November was appointed 2/ic of a training camp near St Omer. However the family kept close contact with the QOOH. One day in the summer of 1918 Winston “dropped down from the sky in an aeroplane” on his way to GHQ at Montreuil and lunched with Regimental HQ.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest FRANKBARTHOLOMEW

In late 1918, Jack Churchill was a Major, on the Staff of the 47th Division. I have a picture of him watching the troops of the division marching (through St. Omer?)- and his reverred brother is stood next to him.

Guest FRANKBARTHOLOMEW
In late 1918, Jack Churchill was a Major, on the Staff of the 47th Division. I have a picture of him watching the troops of the division marching (through St. Omer?)- and his reverred brother is stood next to him.

Sorry, the photograph was taken in Lille.

Major Jack S Churchill was the father-in-law of Anthony Eden Foreign

Secretary and then Prime Minister of Britain in the 1940s to 1950s.

British Foreign Secretary Anthony Eden (55), whose first marriage was

dissolved on June 8, 1950, would shortly marry Miss Clarissa

Spencer-Churchill (32), the niece of Prime Minister Winston Churchill.

Miss Spencer-Churchill, daughter of the late Major Jack Spencer

Churchill, the Premier's only brother — "the Churchill nobody knew".

Major Spencer Churchill died in 1947, aged 67.

Jack Churchill was Winston's younger brother.

He was wounded at the Battle of Spionkop in the Boer War and invalided home shortly

afterwards.

A book on his life is:

Jack Churchill

"Unlimited Boldness"

Author: King-Clark, Rex

ISBN: 1873907060

Format:paperback

Price:£ 5.00

Publisher:

Fleur de Lys

Knutsford, Cheshire - UK

Aye

Malcolm

Guest FRANKBARTHOLOMEW

Thanks Malcolm,

I always wondered if Clarissa Churchill was related to the 'Great One' himself. That was after I read Ted Heath's memoirs and came across Mrs. Eden's maiden name in the index.

Funnily enough, Winnie and Eden were already related- they're both descended from Edward III.

Frank Bartholomew