Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Widowed mothers pensions

Ed Perkins

Did widowed mothers of unmarried serving soldiers get an allotment of a soldier's pay? (My current subject's mother, when writing to one of her son's regiments in 1915, mentioned that she had had to change address because she could not afford the rent after her sons joined the Army.)

• ss002d6252 changed the title to Widowed mothers pensions
45 minutes ago, Ed Perkins said:

Did widowed mothers of unmarried serving soldiers get an allotment of a soldier's pay? (My current subject's mother, when writing to one of her son's regiments in 1915, mentioned that she had had to change address because she could not afford the rent after her sons joined the Army.)

I've split this in to it's own thread to prevent it getting lost.

Who is the soldier ?

Once deceased then there would be no allotment of pay, that would stop.

There may have Separation Allowance, which could be paid for 26 weeks post death before a pension could start. Where there was a claimed financial dependence on the deceased soldier then a pension could be requested on that basis. It was then subject to a financial needs assessment.

Craig

Thanks for your help and interest. The widowed mother in question had six sons who served in the forces at various times before and during the First World War. In an exchange of correspondence with the Adjutant of the 5th Dorsets concerning one son, Private William James  Bungay, she gave her new address  and added:  'I had to move from Bournemouth Road because I could not pay the rent after my sons had joined the Army.' (It's a little complicated because the Regiment apparently thought he was discharged under KR 392 due to an illness but in fact he was now with the Hampshires in India.) The mother's note was sent in January 1915 and, although this son later died while still serving (in Siberia), that did not happen until 1919. My question was whether single men like Private Bungay had an allotment of part of their pay sent to  such widowed mothers?  If not, I can see she was in a bit of a pickle.

Edited by Ed Perkins

8 minutes ago, Ed Perkins said:

Thanks for your help and interest. The widowed mother in question had six sons who served in the forces at various times before and during the First World War. In an exchange of correspondence with the Adjutant of the 5th Dorsets concerning one son, Private William James  Bungay, she gave her new address  and added:  'I had to move from Bournemouth Road because I could not pay the rent after my sons had joined the Army.' (It's a little complicated because the Regiment apparently thought he was discharged under KR 392 due to an illness but in fact he was now with the Hampshires in India.) The mother's note was sent in January 1915 and, although this son later died while still serving (in Siberia), that did not happen until 1919. My question was whether single men like Private Bungay had an allotment of part of their pay sent to  such widowed mothers?  If not, I can see she was in a bit of a pickle.

They could do so.

I saw a case just the other day of a man allotting pay to his mother and then, when he died, the mother claimed Separation Allowance as the person getting the allotment. The wife appealed and was told she couldn't get the Separation Allowance but would have to wait for the 26 weeks to end so that she could claim a Widows Pension. The mother then claiming the Dependant Pension.

Although I have dozens of documents and manuals unfortunately the dependant allowance calculation is not entirely clear. I do have a calculation sheet that was used for the pensions in to the 1930's and that had 2 full pages of calculation to determine the entitlement and what was paid out (It should be very similar to that used at the end of the war).

Craig

Craig, that is very helpful. Do you think I would be correct in saying that an unmarried  son of a widowed mother, dependant on him for money, could allot part of his soldier's pay to go to her and she could also receive a Separation Allowance top-up from the government? (If that is the case, I am a little puzzled by why the widowed mother I am looking into had to move because she could not afford the rent when her sons joined up.) Thanks for any guidance. 

Craig,

I trust you have seen this?

Regards

Alan.

allowance.jpg

12 minutes ago, Alan24 said:

Craig,

I trust you have seen this?

Regards

Alan.

allowance.jpg

Thanks. I hadn't seen that directly Alan, but I have seen the same information in other formats.

The separation allowance for dependants was a different calculation to that used for the dependant's pension but it does all flow together in the overall system.

Craig

On 10/02/2020 at 19:29, Ed Perkins said:

Craig, that is very helpful. Do you think I would be correct in saying that an unmarried  son of a widowed mother, dependant on him for money, could allot part of his soldier's pay to go to her and she could also receive a Separation Allowance top-up from the government? (If that is the case, I am a little puzzled by why the widowed mother I am looking into had to move because she could not afford the rent when her sons joined up.) Thanks for any guidance. 

Yes and Yes.

There were questions raised on more than one occasion on how the details of a deceased person's financial assistance could be retrospectively proven and there was more than one prosecution on the basis of false claims being made.

Craig

• 2 weeks later...