Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Family notifications after soldier’s deaths

Sambob1914

Hive mind, I’m hoping you can answer some questions regarding how family members were notified about a soldier in active service dying.

I'm aware that if a soldier was killed in active service there was a standard telegram sent to their registered next of kin but can you tell me....

1- if a soldier died of an illness (influenza for example) on the front line, did the family receive the same telegram with the cause of death changed to the illness they had? If this wasn’t the case, how were family’s told that a soldier had died of illness? Did those who dies of illness still get the ‘death penny’ sent to the family or was it seen as a less honourable death? 

2- if a soldier committed suicide whilst on the front line, how was this recorded and then the family informed.  Was suicide covered up and a different reason given? Again, did they receive a telegram or any other documents? 

And finally...

3- if a soldier on active service was shot for cowardice, were the family informed about this? If so, how? With the shame attached at the time to being shot for cowardice was the family ever told about this?

Sorry for the multiple questions but with so many different ways to not make it home from the front line, I was wondering how news of the death would travel home under various circumstances. 

Thanks all all in advance- I’ll be in Albert, Somme region this time next week if anyone needs / wants anything. 

Typically it was only officers' families notified by telegram during the First World War.  Other Ranks' families received a letter instead.