Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Dundee Project

Tom Tulloch-Marshall

It looks like the Great War Dundee Commemorative Project has ended and none of the obvious www links work any more. Does anybody know where the original content may be archived or otherwise reached ?

Tom

On ‎07‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 22:10, JasonMc said:

Thanks - but I'm afraid with first I refuse to have anything with "social media" (which just seems to be a curse on civilisation) and the second just doesn't open.

I understand that they had data on a 649 Ernest Haxton in the Royal Flying Corps. I already have quite a lot of information about him from newspapers and TNA records - just wondered if there was anything else.

Tom

According to the UK Web Archive, there have been some snapshots of the data that were taken. These are not in the public domain, so you would have to pay a visit to Euston to the British Library.
https://www.webarchive.org.uk/en/ukwa/collection/114?page=7

Great War Dundee
Viewable only on Library premises

@David_Underdown, can you remind of these circumstances.

The BL is able to crawl and take snapshots, as it has the right to make these copies, however it does not have the right to make them generally available? Is that one way of explaining how there are these entries on the website listing, albeit with the "viewable only on Library premises" caveat?

Yes - the legal deposit regulations for non-print material https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/777/contents/made allow capture of all .uk websites and presentation on the premises of the the various copyright libraries: the British Library, Bodleian, Cambridge University Library, National Library of Wales, National Library of Scotland and Trinity College Dublin. They cannot make them generally available (only one person can view a given website at each library at any one time) under the current regulations. Sites can give permission for the archiving and then they can be made available in the online collection too (and this can also include UK related sites that do not have a .uk address).

Note that it's all the copyright libraries - not just BL at Euston (I think in the case of the BL the material would be available at Boston Spa in Yorkshire too).

12 hours ago, HERITAGE PLUS said:

Tom

Here is info on Ernest Haxton

https://www.greatwardundee.com/entry/haxton-ernest-649/

Dave

Keep clicking on that and it whizzes and buzzes for a while - and I see a blank page. That's what's been happening with recent attempts to connect to the Dundee project.

Tom

12 hours ago, Keith_history_buff said:

According to the UK Web Archive, there have been some snapshots of the data that were taken. These are not in the public domain, so you would have to pay a visit to Euston to the British Library.
https://www.webarchive.org.uk/en/ukwa/collection/114?page=7

@David_Underdown, can you remind of these circumstances.

The BL is able to crawl and take snapshots, as it has the right to make these copies, however it does not have the right to make them generally available? Is that one way of explaining how there are these entries on the website listing, albeit with the "viewable only on Library premises" caveat?

I think I'll give that a miss ☺

7 hours ago, David_Underdown said:

Yes - the legal deposit regulations for non-print material https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/777/contents/made allow capture of all .uk websites and presentation on the premises of the the various copyright libraries: the British Library, Bodleian, Cambridge University Library, National Library of Wales, National Library of Scotland and Trinity College Dublin. They cannot make them generally available (only one person can view a given website at each library at any one time) under the current regulations. Sites can give permission for the archiving and then they can be made available in the online collection too (and this can also include UK related sites that do not have a .uk address).

Note that it's all the copyright libraries - not just BL at Euston (I think in the case of the BL the material would be available at Boston Spa in Yorkshire too).

Rather disincentives (sorry, reinforces the disincentivisation) to put effort into helping others.

The trawl for information about Ernest is part of a much bigger picture which involves other very large taxation funded organisations.

Tom

If you PM me your e-address I can send you a screenshot of the page about Ernestr Haxton.

Dave

I have printed the page to pdf.  Here it is. it gives just the text, but the page also has a photograph of Haxton which will be better on the screenshot.

Haxton.pdf

Edited by keithmroberts

20 hours ago, Tom Tulloch-Marshall said:

Rather disincentives (sorry, reinforces the disincentivisation) to put effort into helping others.

The trawl for information about Ernest is part of a much bigger picture which involves other very large taxation funded organisations.

Unfortunately the commercial publishers are less keen on having their stuff archived and publicly available so so far this is the most that's been agreed. I believe all First World War commemorative projects that received National Lottery funding were required to allow their sites to be included in the open web archive.  Presumably this one did not receive such funding.  Though of course they could have consented to that anyway (as I have done with my own site).

10 hours ago, HERITAGE PLUS said:

Tom

If you PM me your e-address I can send you a screenshot of the page about Ernestr Haxton.

Dave

Sorry Dave but I cant PM you.

Tom

4 hours ago, Tom Tulloch-Marshall said:

Sorry Dave but I cant PM you.

Tom

No problem -  keithmroberts has already posted the screenshot above.