Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battlefield Tour Companies

suesalter1

I've a hankering to go on a guided battlefield trip this year. I usually tootle around the Ypres Salient area with my friend, who loves driving around the country roads and in our case, frequently getting lost! However this year, she has other plans, so I have no chauffeur. I have been on battlefield tours in the past, notably with Martin Middlebrook, who was brilliant. I know Leger are pretty good, but they seem very expensive, especially for a single traveller paying supplements.

I'd like to go back the Somme region, particularly Mametz Wood. So, is there any company out there who won't charge an arm and a leg, I wonder?

Thanks

Sue

It sounds as though you need a UK departure, Sue. Is that correct or could you make your own way to France? It makes a difference to the potential answers.

Sue 

I don't think you will find anyone to beat Leger on price but is really is horses for courses. I never use them preferring to go with a company that provides a full inclusive package which including the single supplement can be very expensive but that's my choice. 

Malcolm 

Sue

I would always recommend Battle Honours (http://www.battle-honours.eu/) and try to go on one trip a year with them. However, while you can get better than Leger you will struggle to get cheaper unless you go on a self guided trip.

Neil

Edited by Neil Mackenzie

If you are prepared to take the Eurostar to Lille there are numerous guides/companies who would collect you from the station and drop you back there at the conclusion of the tour. Feel free to message me for further details and costs.

Spoiler

Thanks for these suggestions. It looks like I will have save up some pennies for Leger then.

Sue

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to suggest considering staying in Ypres and doing a Somme tour from there. Much more to see/do than in Albert, and a wide choice of places to stay and eat. Takes about an hour and a half to get to the Somme from there. FBT are well established, and there is also Over The Top Tours. I've used them a few times and they are excellent.

Thanks for these suggestions. Thing is, I have stayed in Ypres so many times and think I've seen all I can in the area. Only been to the Somme once or twice and not for many years. I was hoping there would be similar companies like FBT and Over the Top Tours operating out of Albert or Arras.

Sue

• Admin

Forum member Ken Lees offers tours, there's also this place

https://www.silentpicket.com/

and here

https://www.number56.co.uk/walk-with-me/

which offer tours. 

How easy is it to get to Avril Williams's Guest House from Albert? Bearing in mind, I don't drive. Is it doable by taxi?

Sue

• Admin

Easy by taxi. Are you ok with cats? 

Always like Butterworth Farm , on main Albert to Baupaume Road and near to Tommies Bar!

Tony