Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Sarahc5

Hello 

My Great Grandfather was a private in the AOC and I am interested in the uniform he would have worn so I can collect cap badges, sleeve badges etc. if applicable. 

Any help would be much appreciated.  

Thank you 

4 hours ago, Sarahc5 said:

Hello 

My Great Grandfather was a private in the AOC and I am interested in the uniform he would have worn so I can collect cap badges, sleeve badges etc. if applicable. 

Any help would be much appreciated.  

Thank you 

These are the badges below, Sarah, along with some photos of AOC soldiers so that you can put them in context.  An AOC private generally had no stripes on his upper arm.

B346D7BB-E6AB-40B4-89E4-F938BFD1398C.jpeg

E0735F06-F9CF-44F8-B1F9-221F8975D69C.jpeg

CA217E15-03F1-4323-9381-762E36024F82.jpeg

0583AE5E-7F81-4E1E-964D-A2E1AD0DEE6A.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

14 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

These are the badges below, Sarah, along with some photos of AOC soldiers so that you can put them in context.

Thank you both so much.  I actually had the wrong style of cap badge in my bag.  Would he have had one chevron on his arm or would that have been for someone more senior? 

Thanks again.  Very new to all of this but love learning. 

Edited by Sarahc5

15 hours ago, Sarahc5 said:

Thank you both so much.  I actually had the wrong style of cap badge in my bag.  Would he have had one chevron on his arm or would that have been for someone more senior? 

Thanks again.  Very new to all of this but love learning. 

One stripe on the upper arm was for the  next higher rank (than private) known in the AOC at that time as ‘second corporal’.  

There were also ‘good conduct badges’ in the form of the same pattern of stripe worn on the lower left arm, but with point upwards.  These were not given to all men, but specially awarded to those who had reached 2-years service without getting into any trouble with military discipline.  More stripes were added for further such blemish free service and a man might gain several on his lower left arm, but these were not rank stripes.

C6E60AEC-63A7-4BF9-9452-BA9AA06C8066.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE