Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

M M in War Diary

ZIL

I am currently researching a recipient of the M M. Appreciate many similar threads but can anyone advise...can it be shown as awarded in the War Diary before it is shown in the London Gazette ?

I would have thought Gazette then in Diary..but stand corrected .

Thanks again,

Zil

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. I have found that the war diary can have the award mentioned during the same month as the action, or often in an award summary at the end of that or the following month.

If they get mentioned in the diary at all, battalion awards always predate the gazette listing.

Of course some MMs don't get a mention in the war diary, especially those awarded later (In L.G. New Year etc.) for consistent bravery over a long period of time.

This attached war diary end of month summary for Sept. 1917 was for a major Divisional action east of Ypres in mid August 1917. The gazette listings were in 19 November 1917.

MM MC Oct 17.jpg

The most reliable way of finding the announcement of any MM is through the attachments to the war diaries of the adjutants of the division and corps under whose command a unit came. Even they are not complete but I have generally found them more a better source than the unit diaries.

Edited by Chris_Baker

if you want more info then local papers are often you best bet

Thank you, Ivor, Chris and Coldstreamer also Ken of this forum who has contributed in great detail but whose posts are missing.

‘This lad was in the 20TH Kings Liverpool..the diaries etc have been checked in detail with no results.There is a local newspaper article which says the award was for amongst other things rescuing a wounded soldier from no mans land.This was dated 2nd March 1918.Giving the action area as Gheluvelt. The battalion were there in 1917 & I am satisfied that sometime in that action this lad earned his award.

His name was John Warburton 32640...on his MIC later MGC 142190.....however his MM shows 32641. As does his MM index card.The Gazette listing was in April 1918.The battalion were disbanded in February 1918....he moved to the MGC in March 1918.

i have also has help from the British Medal Forum which has identified 32640...it is opined that the MIC records, compiled by the MGC...were in clerical error.

Without the actual citation or other documentation the actual detail may never be discovered.

Thank you once again for all the assistance.

Zil

Again,...I have rechecked all my records for this and the 1914.15 star posting .It was Ken’s contributions that identified 32640 etc.Too many irons in the fire but with all the help given results were achieved..

Thanks once again,

Zil