Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieut. Robt. Aslin RNR - Lake Victoria Nyanza

KizmeRD

I am keen to learn more about naval operations on Lake Victoria during the early years of the war and in particular those involving Lieut. Robert Aslin RNR who was killed during the re-embarkation of Indian troops after the Raid on Lubembe (6.12.1915). 

He was a Master Mariner in the Port of Mombasa at the outbreak of the war and after making himself known to the authorities, got assigned to harbour defence work. I then believe that he was put to work removing some of the guns from HMS Pegasus and re-installing them on the Lake Victoria flotilla (requisitioned steamers). Then there was the salvage of 'HMS' Sybil , the transporation of troops to Bukoba, and finally the amphibious landing at Lubembe.

Rather frustratingly, I am having difficulty laying my hands on a first hand account written after the war by Cmdr. George Thornly DSO RN (SNO Lake Victoria) entitled 'A backwater..., the campaign against German East Africa' - Naval Review 1921). Does anyone know where the archives for this publication are held?

Michael

8 minutes ago, KizmeRD said:

Does anyone know where the archives for this publication are held?

Access used to be freely available, but is now only open to members - https://www.naval-review.com/

Someone recommended joining for one year only and then in that year downloading all you need re the Great War

Maybe I'll do just that, annual subscription is £40.

Thanks for the advice.

By the way Lt Aslin is listed as being on the books of HMS Hyacinth, although I think that was just his accounting base, as the Lake Victoria flottila probably wasn't grand enough to have its own paymaster.

Michael

Greetings

You can read my account of Robert Aslin's death here:

http://www.kaiserscross.com/188001/435201.html

On that "Harry's Africa" web page there are more articles mentioning the Lake Victoria Flotilla.

Enjoy your research    Harry

Bushfigher - Thanks a lot for that, and I really love your website, however I'm still endeavouring to discover more details about the work that the naval parties did on the Lake in support of the military (not just Aslin's death).

I lok forward to devouring everything there is on 'Kaiserscross' and 'Harry's Africa'.

Lots to read about - considering it's often thought of as just a backwater/sideshow.

Brilliant, thanks.

Perhaps it may not be necessary to pay a year's subscription for The Naval Review.

The page Regulations of The Naval Review states "Time limited access to the archive is open to researchers and historians after 10 years from an article’s original publishing date for a small administration charge", although I can't see any further information about the amount of the "small administration charge"

The following are available online and are copied from the FIBIS Fibiwiki page East Africa (First World War)    https://wiki.fibis.org/w/East_Africa_(First_World_War)

The Tanganyika Naval Expedition [1915-1916] The London Gazette13 July 1917 Supplement: 30182 Page: 7070.

• "Naval Operations in Central Africa" by Commander G B Spicer Simson RN, page 287 United Empire The Royal Colonial Institute Journal Volume IX New Series 1918 Archive.org. The Tanganyika Naval Expedition.
  • "The Battle for the Lake" by Harwood Koppel, page 305 February 1919, The Wide World: the magazine for everybody, Volume 42. As told by Lieutenant-- of the Artillery. Archive.org
  • Mimi and Toutou's Big Adventure : the Bizarre Battle of Lake Tanganyika by Giles Foden 2005. USA title. Originally published in UK 2004 with title Mimi and Toutou Go Forth: The Bizarre Battle of Lake Tanganyika by Giles Foden. Mimi and Toutou were gunboats. Archive.org Books to Borrow/Lending Library.
  • Fiction. The Tanganyika Naval Expedition  inspired The African Queen by C S Forester 1940 edition, first published 1935. Another edition, but missing at least initial pages. Both Archive.org. There was a later movie in 1951 starring Humphrey Bogart and Katharine Hepburn.

Cheers

Maureen

Thanks Maureen, although I was attempting to stay clear of the bizarre occurrences on Lake Tanganyika :D

I don't think there's much close detail, but you might find something in Tip and Run: the untold tragedy of the First World War in Africa by Edward Paice.

sJ

Thanks sJ, Tip & Run provided me with a couple of new leads, but as you say, detail is a bit lacking.

• 2 months later...

My current 'lockdown' read is The Lake Steamers of East Africa by L, G, (Bill) Dennis'

There is a little on the ships of Lake Victoria and he mentions a report of 3 of Pegasus' 4' guns being sent to the lake but only one being mounted on a ship and that was HMS/SS Winifred.