The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Patrick Keating Royal Engineers

GJW

Hi,

Does anybody know what 'RLY Trps, DEP' means. I know this man served with the RE. All information gladly received.

Gerard

Patrick Keating.PNG

• Admin

At a guess, railway transport department? 

Michelle 

It is Railway Troops Depot which was at Longmoor, Hants. That was his discharge unit in January 1919.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Thank you very much guys.

Gerard

If you look at the actual Roll for the Silver War Badge he had no overseas service. Perhaps he remained at the Depot ?

Enlisted 18/8/17 and discharged, sickness, 31/1/19 aged 43 (ie b 1876 ?  -see below; perhaps the 43 should read 48 ?)

His Pension Card (via WesternFrontAssociation) tells us he was suffering from Chronic Bronchitis, aggrevated by service.

His pension address is  Castle Dermott, Co Kildare and was married.  Born 1871 ??

Charlie

Thank you Charlie,

Missed the no overseas service for sure. He was born in 1979 as have his BC. Thanks for this - most appreciated. Does this explain why I cannot find a record of his BWM or Victory Medal?

Gerard

Edited by GJW
ommission

6 minutes ago, GJW said:

Thank you Charlie,

Missed the no overseas service for sure. He was born in 1979 as have his BC. Thanks for this - most appreciated. Does this explain why I cannot find a record of his BWM or Victory Medal?

Gerard

With a few exceptions - no overseas service meant no medals.

Craig

Thank you Craig - explains loads to the research I am doing.

14 hours ago, GJW said:

He was born in 1979 as have his BC

That (assuming you mean 1879 ?) is a long way from the SWB 1876 and Pension 1871. What would be the explanation ?

It is my experience in doing local research was that ordinary ranks were liberal with age given and sometimes different ages on different documents. I assume they did not exactly nor did not care. The army did not seem to care either as I have about 4 who were underage that I know of and were only sent home when a complaint was made. About the best I can come up with.