Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Good Templars Hall: Advice on grammar for a pedant.

rolt968

I'm writing up a man who was married in the Good Templars (sic) Hall. (That's how it appears on the marriage certificate.) Half of me thinks that it should be "Good Templars'". The other half thinks it should be "Good Templars" because it was the name of the hall and also because it is how it appears on the certificate.

What do other people think?

RM

Just for a laugh, compare and contrast:

I own a dog. My home is my dog's home. I obtained him from the local Dogs' Home.

I have a husband. He is a Good Templar. I married him in the local Good Templars' Hall.

Apostrophile

Difficult to decide with proper nouns. There is a quay beside the river Liffey in Dublin called Bachelors Walk. It doesn't use an apostrophe now and never has.

I couldn't make a judgement on the hall's name for that reason.

Many thanks to everyone. Documents are inconsistent - like certain stations on the London Underground where the use of the apostraphe on signs is inconsistent. Of course I could make it a quote from the marriage cerificate and put it in inverted commas.

On 02/02/2020 at 14:10, seaJane said:

That's fascinating. One of the documents refers to Bulwell, my late mother's home town. (I don't think that my grandfather was a Good Templar (possibly an Oddfellow?)).

RM

I haven't fully considered the original question, but after doing a bit of Googling I tend towards "Good Templars Hall" - no apostrophe.  I can't recall coming across the organisation before, but by one of those strange minor coincidences I read a reference to it this morning when reading the John Jakes novel Heaven and Hell, set in the USA after the War between the States.

It revealed to me that it was, and is, a society to promote temperance, with chapters at many US Army posts in the West to combat an "epidemic" army problem of drunkenness.

I plead mitigation for going off topic as this thread hasn't specified what were/are the Good Templars - though, of course, there is this website.

Moonraker

18 hours ago, Muerrisch said:

Odd Fellows, or Oddfellows or oddfellows' or oddfellow's 

Or possibly not the organisation but one person: odd fellow's?

Probably time to call time on this thread.

RM

23 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

RM you can lock it as the OP or we can do it for you?

Thanks David,

I have only got "Hide" under my moderation tabs.

As it's not in Skindles, please lock the thread before it drifts off topic.

RM

• DavidOwen locked this topic