The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

S15 bayonet

Steve1871

I have a regular S-15 bayonet and scabbard

I may be wrong, but It seem’s that all S-15’s were made by Gottsoe and have never heard of any that were unit marked and all are undated.

A friend just offer me a spare, with the above, I turn down, no different markings to collect. Hope was good choice, but what I wonder is, are there any differences in S-15’s? Different fullers maybe? Only made for short period. Thanks

9 hours ago, Steve1871 said:

I have a regular S-15 bayonet and scabbard

I may be wrong, but It seem’s that all S-15’s were made by Gottsoe and have never heard of any that were unit marked and all are undated.

A friend just offer me a spare, with the above, I turn down, no different markings to collect. Hope was good choice, but what I wonder is, are there any differences in S-15’s? Different fullers maybe? Only made for short period. Thanks

Hi Steve,

Correct designation is the S.14! And there is a book on these - Ian Jackson, Imperial German bayonets : the Seitengewehr 1914 models

Stoneleigh Press, 2012.

There are two types. The regular type is more-or-less like a 84/98, but longer - 44.6 cm overall, blade of 31.5 cm. There are 8 maker-marks represented, the 'G' for Gottscho being present on two of these.

The 'Gottscho' proper is a different thing. More like a S.98/5 but with a narrow 36.2 cm blade and a single one-piece grip like the S.98aA, but grooved on the base only. 

Unit-marked examples exist for both types.

Which have you got? The 'Gottscho' with the single piece grip is the rarer.

Julian

Hey Julian!

I have the standard (plain) S14. And the saw backed too, both with scabbards

The one I talk about here is the longer bayonet with same Crossguard as 98/05 plain variant, gottscho ( lightbulb logo)  the one on top in photo

A53E1182-0A5D-4623-83F5-B802FAAD6E69.jpeg

In a post somewhere, forgot my title, I posted pics of my S14. S15 together

Yes the one piece grip on the longer one. On the long ones that people call the s15, gave you ever seen a sawbacked one, how rare are those?? , no have one those drawbacks YET!?!