Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal

topdeer

Can anyone help me with these Medals I have as I can not make my mind up weather they go together or not. I have service records of 

Able seaman Edward Frank Gunstone BZ.135. But can not find recorded of the other Medal 1183 Edward E Gunstone they all came 

together with the WW2 War Medal & Defence Medal. I think they belonged to Edward Frank they had just got the letter wrong. But 

can not work it out.

IMG_0182.JPG

IMG_0187.JPG

I think the other medal is for service as a Special Constable, if that's any help?

Adrian

Edward Frank was a Royal Naval volunteer, the B indicates Bristol. born 25 Nov 1885, served 1904-1914.

I cant find an Edward E  but as Adrian says it is a Special Constable medal.probably served after the war. There is a mention of a Edward Frank wh lost his Son , Frederick James in Burma in WW2. North Chailey , Sussex and also another son Peter also died.

no Edward E on 1911 census either

Edited by chaz

Yes I knew about Edward Frank Gunstone serving in the R.N.V.R then the R.N.D. and the two sons that died. Yes it is a Special Constabulary Medal to a Edward E Gunstone I just want to know if it belonged to Edward Frank Gunstone and the two War Medal

& Defence Medal that came with it.

I think Edward Frank Gunstone (b.1885) died in Swansea in 1966.

There is another EF death, but not an Edward E deathbetween 1916 & 2007 :

Edward Frank Gunstone 27 Jul 1909 Jun 1992   Salisbury

Wiltshire

• Admin
28 minutes ago, topdeer said:

Yes I knew about Edward Frank Gunstone serving in the R.N.V.R then the R.N.D. and the two sons that died. Yes it is a Special Constabulary Medal to a Edward E Gunstone I just want to know if it belonged to Edward Frank Gunstone and the two War Medal

& Defence Medal that came with it.

Perhaps you should try a WW2 forum like http://ww2talk.com

I am not sure that it has any significance but EF GUNSTONE did not claim his WW1 BWM until 6 August 1942. This probably explains why the two medal boxes are so similar - with perhaps a typo EE for EF on one.

Edited by horatio2

you should be able to ask MODMO for a statement of medal entitlement - that will confirm his military medals

• 2 weeks later...

Hi topdeer and all,

Just browsing and came across your thread. If you haven't got a photo then here is one from a public tree on Ancestry.Edward Frank Gunstone 1885-1966.

Edward Frank Gunstone 1914-1915

Photos on tree of his sons and siblings also.

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector