Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Books covering British Cavalry during WWI

Ciaran Byrne

Anyone know of any decent books on British Cavalry during WWI. I have the four volume History of British Cavalry but are there any other good titles out there at all?

Ciaran,

If that is the Marquess of Anglesey's History there are at least 7 volumes and the Great War is fully covered

I have seen no general work other than that - you may have to go to Regimental histories - (I don't know if there is a history of the Cavalry Corps or any of its constituent formations)

I havent seen one dealing with the cavalry, a friend of mine is doing a book on the 16/5 lancers,though i think its more a general study. Think you visited our regimental website Ciaran? a few months ago. I know he helped me find some stuff on a 16th Lancers Mons trio i was researching.

If i can get enough info together myself id like to do a book on the Lancers in the great war

If it is any help I have Brigadier Lunt's "The Scarlet Lancers" and the Famous Regimnts series book on the 16th/5th but I suspect you have them already..

Maybe of interest to you 'Tickled to Death to Go, Memoirs of a cavalrymen in the first world war.' Written by Benjamin Clouting and edited by Richard Van Emden.

Benjamin Clouting was a member of the 4th Dragoon Guards he served through the whole war with the unit and then went in to Germany as part of the occupation force.

From,

Thomas McCall