Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What does this POW's song mean?

PHalsall

Hi,

My grandfather, James Irwin, served with the Imperial Camel Corps, was captured near Beersheba and the imprisoned in Gelebek in the Taurus Mountains. He survived.

Somewhere along the way he learnt a song which his surviving son and daughter can still sing to this day, having learned it from him in later years.

Phonetically, and with his dubious pronunciation, it sounded like this
:  kam leelah, kam lee-oom, yakabibtee sooleeman

He said it meant :  How many nights, how many days, my dear Sulyman ? 
The 'locals' would chant it while doing heavy labour work.

I wonder if anyone can identify the song / chant? It seems to my simple mind to be Arabic rather than Turkish. I have not read of the existence of Arabic workers in the POW camps but someone might put me right on that one, certainly the reference to heavy labour fits the bill for Gelebek. It could equally well be that he picked this up in Egypt or Palestine. Were Arab labourers employed in constructing the railway and water pipeline across Palestine, for example? Is 'Sulyman' a reference to Solomon or Suleiman the Magnificent?

I appreciate that this is an odd one, but the expertise of the folk who contribute to this forum never ceases to surprise me so lets see what comes up!

Pete

According to Google translate

In Arabic it translates as
kam laylat , kam yawmaan , ya eazizi sulayman

In Turkish,

Kaç gece, kaç gün sevgili Süleyman

Craig

Thanks Craig,

Certainly a better match for Arabic. I also picked up the following on Google, but working in the reverse direction so to speak

Here's what I learned from Google :

" How many nights ?"  =  kam layla al 'yam

" How many days ?"     = kam eadad al 'yam

" My love " (male)        = ya habibi

" My love " (female)    =  ya habibti

Pete

• 7 months later...

For anyone interested in this thread I happened to come across a first hand description of the song being performed by the Egyptian Labour Force. I have attached the relevant pages.

The whole book is interesting, especially for anyone interested in the logisitics of moving an army of men and animals across the desert and is located here

https://archive.org/details/romanceoflastcru00vivi/page/66/mode/2up

Pete

Desert song.pdf

4 minutes ago, PhilB said:

What did the naffer do at the end of the attached story?:unsure:

See p.104 et seq of the book per the link above!

On 03/09/2020 at 21:44, PhilB said:

It stops at p103!

Yes, the extract does, but there is also a link to the full book above the extract.  You need to click on the link PHalsall gave - to save time it's https://archive.org/details/romanceoflastcru00vivi/page/66/mode/2up to find the whole book.  You will land somewhere in the middle but from there you can go to p.104 easily....

• 1 month later...

Thanks for sorting that one out between you! Apologies for not responding earlier, for some reason I didn't get the usual email notification.

Cheers

Pete