Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CAPTAIN.H.E.MEASOR,5/SHROPS.L.I. & GENERAL LIST

NICK ENTWISTLE

Hi - I am lead to believe the above officer was m.i.d., but I have checked the Regimental History and searched the L.G on line but cant find anything?

Any suggestions please?

St Lawrence College register indeed say MiD 1919 but I cannot see him on LG either.

1404679915_GWFMeasorHEKSLIStLawrenceCollege.JPG.b86c75f325f7a0c91e3fcb1a0b710a9e.JPGimage Courtesy FindmyPast

charlie

The only Measor I find MiD for 1919 is CQMS W E Measor 59648 of 21st Bn Canadian Forces !

Edited by charlie962

Many thanks Charlie - that's where I've drawn a blank too, I can see he's applied for his 'emblem' on his MIC but it doesn't appear he was issued it.

The HIstory of the KSLI in the Great War has three mentions of Capt HE Measor. He crossed to France with 5 KSLI on 19 May 1915; he was in C Company but doesn't seem to have been its OC. He was wounded sometime between 26 June and 10 August 1915 when the battalion was involved in the Ypres salient. He rejoined 5 KSLI between 16 - 29 December 1915. He is not listed amongst those officers and soldiers mentioned in dispatches

Hi Robin - Many thanks for the information, I did check the Reg.History - are you any relation to Colonel Garrett, CO 4/KSLI?

2 hours ago, charlie962 said:

St Lawrence College register indeed say MiD 1919 but I cannot see him on LG either.

1404679915_GWFMeasorHEKSLIStLawrenceCollege.JPG.b86c75f325f7a0c91e3fcb1a0b710a9e.JPGimage Courtesy FindmyPast

charlie

The only Measor I find MiD for 1919 is CQMS W E Measor 59648 of 21st Bn Canadian Forces !

Thanks again Charlie, just seems to confirm what I thought.

54 minutes ago, NICK ENTWISTLE said:

Hi Robin - Many thanks for the information, I did check the Reg.History - are you any relation to Colonel Garrett, CO 4/KSLI?

Yes but extremely distant! Both of us are / were descendants of the Suffolk Garretts (best known members Elizabeth Garrett Anderson and Millicent Garrett Fawcett ).

I helped planned and run a battlefield tour dealing with 4 KSLI in 1918, including the battalion's part in Op Michael, its famous counter-attack in July 1918 at Bligny (for which it was awarded the Croix de Guerre avec Palme) and finally its part in the Battle of the Selle in November 1918. It was during my research for this tour that I discovered that I was related to ANB Garrett, who as you say was CO 4 KSLI from shortly after the beginning of the war until he was invalided home just before the Kaiserschlact. I have more information on his subsequent career. He died of a heart attack while commanding a platoon of the Home Guard in Cornwall in WW2. Quite a man. His photo is below - taken after WW1 when he was probably Honorary Colonel 4KSLI.

Lt Col Garrett.jpg

Appears in the 5th KSLI roll for December 1915 but listed as sick.

Andy

DSC08260 copy.JPG

Wounded late on 1st August taking over from the 9th RB under Villiers Stewart. 9th Rifle Brigade were by the culvert straddling both sides of the Menin Road.

Andy

DSC08249 copy.JPG

According to the Army List H E Measor was serving with an Officer Cadet Battalion in February 1917. I assume he was passed fit enough to be posted there after recovery from his wounds but was not judged sufficiently fit to return to front line service. Then he became a Staff Captain in October 1917 and in May 1919 was promoted Temporary Major for service as a Deputy Assistant Adjutant General.  So if he was m.i.d. in 1919 it would have been for his work on the staff.  Possibly he was told "unofficially" about the m.i.d. before it was approved but then it was not finally approved or it did not get into the London Gazette due to an administrative oversight. If it was an administrative oversight I would have thought that could have been sorted out when he applied for the emblem.  I am not a medal expert but I think the m.i.d. emblem was not introduced until 1919 and it was awarded retrospectively back to August 1914. That would tend to make an irresolvable administrative oversight a more credible explanation than it would have been had the award of the emblem been a well established procedure. Unfortunately he does not seem to have a file at the National Archives which might have provided some clues to the m.i.d. mystery. 

I've gone through the LG entries for War Office Mentions for 1918-1921 inclusive - no sign of him.

My only hit was on the Canadian already mentioned.

I also checked for MESSON, MEASON and MESSOR.

There are some hits in early 1919 for Herbert Edward MEASOR in the Civil Service.  Looks like his civvy street career in HM Inland Revenue was being progressed so he was not disadvantaged by his war service.  He is still on the Army List with the KSLI in Dec 1919.

See ...

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31239/page/3645

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31271/page/4446

Mark

20 hours ago, Bordercollie said:

Unfortunately he does not seem to have a file at the National Archives which might have provided some clues to the m.i.d. mystery. 

nor could I see a file listed in the index to Discharges 1920 that is on Ancestry (and FWR)

19 hours ago, MBrockway said:

I've gone through the LG entries for War Office Mentions for 1918-1921 inclusive - no sign of him.

My only hit was on the Canadian already mentioned.

I also checked for MESSON, MEASON and MESSOR.

There are some hits in early 1919 for Herbert Edward MEASOR in the Civil Service.  Looks like his civvy street career in HM Inland Revenue was being progressed so he was not disadvantaged by his war service.  He is still on the Army List with the KSLI in Dec 1919.

See ...

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31239/page/3645

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31271/page/4446

Mark

Many thanks Mark, much appreciated.