Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFC Photographic Section

medalmaniac

Can anyone help with a RFC query please.

I have just been presented with an archive comprising a large Trench map 1-10,000 numbered T 75 (Fremilinghien/Armentiers area) on linen; a trench log book T75; with a instructional letter signed Brigade Major 149th Brigade and dated 9.10.1915;  numerous typed intelligence reports headed 50th  Division; numerous original hand written patrol reports with original pencil sketches of enemy trenches, wire etc. all contained within an original purpose made satchel, also numbered T75.

But more interestingly is an original aerial photograph of German trenches and machine-gun positions, which has on the reverse, the official stamp of 'Photographic Section, No. 2 Wing, Royal Flying Corps and within the centre of the stamp it reads (hand-written in ink) No. B.B. 314 and date 11.9.1915, which is the crux of my query. Can anyone enlighten me as to whether the BB314 is the abbreviation for the plane and its number or merely a code number to co-incide with the T75 map. With the photo is an accompanying letter with sketch describing new German trench at Les 4 Hallots Farm' with barracades, machine-guns and high wire.

Any little help would be appreciated

Medalmaniac