Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Some pictures from an old Gaunt's catalogue

themonsstar

Very interesting to see the types of fasteners and belt hooks, things that are not that often seen.  Thank you for posting.

NB.  Amusingly, the Staffordshire knot was illustrated upside down!

Edited by FROGSMILE

Fascinating...many thanks for sharing this with us.

Dave.

It seems a pity that no one seems to have reprinted this book, presumably because the copyright still lies with GAUNTS’s.

Edited by FROGSMILE

It was a catalogue of all of that they sold from around the turn of the 19th century I've quite surprised that the amount of articles they did sell and the wide range.

Gaunt44.jpg

Gaunt45.jpg

gaunt46.jpg

Gaunt47.jpg

Gaunt48.jpg

This is wonderful!!

Thank you for sharing.

Really silly question, but are they photographs of the badges, or incredible illustrations?

Chris 

Can you please ascertain if item (illustration) number B1126 is described as a ‘Torin Cap’?

Edited by FROGSMILE

All of the pages are glossy and I suspect a mix of drawings and photographs.

I can not answer the Torin Cap question as I've posted all of the pages from a catalogue.

Edited by themonsstar

6 hours ago, themonsstar said:

All of the pages are glossy and I suspect a mix of drawings and photographs.

I can not answer the Torin Cap question as I've posted all of the pages from a catalogue.

Yes, I’d hoped that you could marry up the text with the illustration, it’s too small for me to read, but you have the full size document?

I cannot find this cap in the index and it does say there was a separate pricing index to the catalogue which unfortunately I don't have.

Roy

5 hours ago, themonsstar said:

I cannot find this cap in the index and it does say there was a separate pricing index to the catalogue which unfortunately I don't have.

Roy

Okay, thank you for looking, Roy.  I’ve been trying to find contemporary references to the word ‘Torin’ going back as far as possible, and so far it’s been a largely fruitless search.

Edited by FROGSMILE

When I get the motivation to get back into my library after I've moved all the junk out of the doorway, I have a section on clothing regulations if I remember I'll have a look for you.

2 hours ago, themonsstar said:

When I get the motivation to get back into my library after I've moved all the junk out of the doorway, I have a section on clothing regulations if I remember I'll have a look for you.

I inquired with the National Army Museum and even they had no clue as to the origin of the ‘Torin’ designation for that particular pattern of field cap.  Ergo, it’s all a bit of a mystery to have an item of British military dress, whose name we know, and that is still used today, and yet with no idea of its origin.  It not the same as the Austrian pattern with its two button fastening to the fold down flap.  The Torin is a much older and simpler design, a taller version of which was used by HM Foot Guards, where it was known as the ‘Albert Bonnet’, quite probably because he played a part in introducing it, although that cannot be known for certain.  A very similar design was used since during the George III era, and another by Royal Marines.  All, existed well before there was any mention of Torin.  It’s all a bit of a mystery when the term cannot be found in written nomenclature.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Hi

On 25/01/2020 at 04:33, FROGSMILE said:

Can you please ascertain if item (illustration) number B1126 is described as a ‘Torin Cap’?

Hi themonsstar and all,

Thanks very much for showing these pictures. I am curious about the crossed axes badge on the B1126 "Torin" cap.

Does anyone know it?

Thanks, Tinto

16 minutes ago, Tinto said:

Hi

Hi themonsstar and all,

Thanks very much for showing these pictures. I am curious about the crossed axes badge on the B1126 "Torin" cap.

Does anyone know it?

Thanks, Tinto

Yes, it’s an officers badge of a British-Indian Army Pioneer Regiment.

24 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yes, it’s an officers badge of a British-Indian Army Pioneer Regiment.

Wow, That's quick! Thanks for the identification Frogsmile.

Cheers, Tinto