Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

General Hospital on the Western Front

Snowyred

Morning everyone, I am doing some research on a service man that was treated on the Western Front and was wondering if anybody had any information about the 9th General Hospital at Rouen during the middle of March 1918. for example did this hospital deal with serviceman from one particular area of the Front, what was its size (Beds), how well was the hospital manned what casualty clearing stations used the hospital in question. any help or pointing in the right direction would be much appreciated. many thanks. 

Perhaps ask the mods to move this to medical sub-forum? - unless your man was in the Royal Naval Division...

According to the Long, Long Trail website:

No 9 General Nantes Sep 14 – Nov 14; Rouen Nov 14 – Jun 17 Taken over by US Army Jun 17

Because of its position and transportation links, Rouen was the centre of western front hospital care. Many hospitals were located there. No. 9 general hosital was one of them, initially undercanvas before wooden nissan hut buildings were constructed. In addition to 75 or so trained nurses there would also have been a VAD unit and about 200 orderlies/RAMC staff plus around 34 doctors,working there. By 1918 when your man was injured (as seaJane says), No. 9 general hospital had already been taken over by the Americans. So they were obviously treating more than just their own injured Doughboys).

2 hours ago, KizmeRD said:

before wooden nissan hut buildings were constructed

I think Lt Colonel Peter Nissen DSO RE would have been amused to see his eponymous hut had been renamed after a Japanese car company.:D

TR

Snipped

1. did this hospital deal with serviceman from one particular area of the Front.

2. what casualty clearing stations used the hospital in question

1. Generally speaking, no. Other than during any particular offensive it may fill up with men from an Army or Corps front. So your man admitted in March 1918 may well have found himself with men from the same division/corps that had suffered from the German Spring offensive.

2. None specifically and again with the spring offensive things became a bit chaotic. Normally a group of CCSs under EG 5th Army would evacuate by Ambulance trains who were under Lines of Communications rather than an Army. So the DMS (Director Medical Services) would order up Ambulance Trains to clear a CCS group EG at Remy but it would then be up to Lines of Communications, to work out a route and destination. It's not unheard of for an Ambulance Train to be re-routed to a new destination mid-way.

The final destination for the AT may be Rouen Base but once there the Rouen Base MO would have to decide which hospitals could take the wounded (hopefully he had warning of the numbers arriving). As there were a number of hospitals in Rouen he may send 20% here, 40% there etc. Some may even be moved down to the docks for loading onto ships.

TEW

Terry - I realised I'd made the error as soon as I pressed the submit button, so I've been awaiting retribution and humiliation (I fall on my sword).

But at least the Japanese were on our side during this particular war!:blush:

Michael