Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tracking Friedrich Schubert-A Soldier in the Asienkorps

Greek Kaizer

Greetings comrades-in-arms.

Well.....I am trying to a track a single soldier who fought in the great war but since I don't have any specific sources of information my research haven't beared fruits so I'm addressing you guys hoping that you know something more than me.

The soldier's name is Friedrich Schubert,he was born in  21 February 1897,in Dortmund,North Rhine-Westphalia.He fought in WW1 serving in the Imperial German Army,and more precisely in the Asienkorps so in the Mesopotamia campaign.I don't know his battalion or his military record,wich is what I try to find and I am writing here.He also was decorated with an Iron Crescent(Gallipoli Star),but I don't know under wich circuimstances.

Sooo I am asking your help if you know or can find more about him and his record.If you send anything is it possible that a source can be provided?(just to poke some things alone)

Thank you in advance

P.S

Sorry if I have spelling and grammar mistakes

Thanks again 

Have a good evening!

Mate,

I have no record of a Friedrich Schubert, but I have limited records here.

Service in the Asienkorps does not mean in Mesopotamia but in Turkey or Palestine more likely, few Germans got as far as Iraq.

As a younger man he could have been in anyone of many units that fought in Palestine, but since the Asia Korps fought in Palestine its possible in one of the Infantry units there?

All Germans and Ottoman soldiers who served in that war were awarded the Ottoman War Medal (also called the Iron Crescent(Gallipoli Star) this Star/medal should be worn by all soldiers.

I sorry to say many Germans soldiers I have don't show a first name but I do have these men which appear none are the man you are after;;

Schubert    Chaplain    Staff Airforce shown att 2nd Sqn Tayyare Boluk 9-18    1918-    Mesopotamia (shown in RO's 26-9-18) (spelling in Ole Nikoljsen)
Schubert    Matrosen Marine     Naval MG Sects Marine-Landungsabteilung (under Boltz)  at Gallipoli     1915-    (not identified)? to many to confirm? 
Schubert Bodo    LtzS Marine    in special forces commander in the 2nd Mine search unit    1917-18    (not identified)?
Schubert Robert    Gefr    German Pioneer Co (Freiwillige Pionierkompanie)    1915-    (born at Pölzig ) (not identified)? 
Schubert Wilhelm or Georg    VzFeldwebel to LtzS Marine    Pilot Airforce 5-15 German Seaplane Sqn (Wasserfliegerabteilung) 11-15 to 9-18    1915-18    (1892 at Bornsdorf ?) from Freiwilliger Marine-Fliegerkorps 1914 - to Sonder kommando der Kaiserlichen Marine in der Turkei 11-15 claimed in Gotha WD12 with Lt Werdier (O) shot down a Farman from (French) Escadrille MF 98T 4-1-16 - claimed Gotha WD 12 (573) shot down balloon (SS8) off Mudros 14-10-16 claimed in Rumpler 6B1 (894) shot down a Farman near Imbros 26-2-17 claimed in Rumpler 6B (895) shot down third plane over Lemnos or the Gulf of Saros 12-10-17 - claimed in Rumpler 6B (895) shot down British seaplane and damaged another attacking German SMS Goeben & Breslau near Islands off Dardenelles 17/20-1-18 RTG to  I. Seeflieger Abteilung 9-18 (spelling in Ole Nikoljsen)

Sorry

S.B

• 3 months later...

stevebecker

First of all sorry for the late reply,secondly thank you for your time and efford,sadly the man I am looking is not among those chaps,thankfully some new clues have emerged,once again thank you.

Mate,

Sorry, but the documents of soldiers in the field are limited that show names of the common fighting man?

As shown by the list large numbers of Germans served in Turkey and its Empire in many differant units.

Units from Infantry to Airforce, to the many support units from Transport, like Trucks and trains, that kept the war moving in this very poor country.

We should also count in the many Naval units in that country.

I have the names of around 5000 men who served there of over 20,000 + that were in the country over the four years.

Stay safe

S.B

Edited by stevebecker