Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Decifering Medal Card Information.

jonclarkage3

I have recently found my Great Grandfathers medal card in the National Archive and am wondering why he has 3 serial / regimental numbers. As far as I know he was with the 1/5 West Yorks, a territorial battalion. At the bottom of the card it says

SWB listof 1801/2 What does this mean?

Theatre of War (1) I assume this means France

Can anyone help please?

If he had three numbers on the card he may well be TF as they were renumbered in 1917? to six digit numbers. In this case you will usually find his original number was a four digit one and then a six digit one following. If he was transferred to a different unit (corps, regiment or sometimes battalion) he will usually have been renumbered. SWB means he was awarded a Silver War Badge meaning that he was incapacitated as a result of his war service and was deemed no longer fit for duty. The number is the SWB Roll number. (1) does mean that he entered the war in France. Can you post a copy of the MIC? What was his name? If you post the card more information should be forthcoming.

Rgds

Tim D

Thanks for your help. It confirms the stories I have heard about my great grandfather being badly injured and dying after the war was over from his injuries. His name was Private William Henry Clark. His numbers were 2723, 6021 and 202914. From the Leeds city council list of absent voters for 1918 I found that he was in the 1/5th West Yorks. I have the medal card on a pdf file. I have tried to post it here but it seems to be too big. Perhaps I could e mail it to you.

Regards...

Jon Clark

Jon,

It appears that he was probably a territorial and had his number changed to a 6 digit one later in the war as I suspected. I am unsure why he would have changed his original number to another four digit one though. I would suspect a change of battalions perhaps? Early in the war each TF battalion had its own numbering system. This meant if a man changed battalions for some reason he may find someone already possessing his original regimental number. If this occurred I think the newcomer would have been issued a new one. Later in the war the TF was renumbered in each regiment to six digit numbers.

I would have someone check the Medal Rolls at the PRO and the SWB Roll. These may provide more information for you including what his date of discharge was and confirm his battalion when he became eligible for the 1914/15 Star and his other medals. Given the information you have it certainly appears he ended the war with the 1/5th but is possible he entered it with another battalion.

Hope this helps.

Tim