Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Germany 76 mm naval gun?

LarsA

A friend have a shell casing marked Polte Magdeburg VII 1910 for the German Navy, crown over M marked.

He says the caliber is 76 mm, what guns of this dimension did the german navy have during WWI?

ATB,

Lars

Lars, I think we need to see a photo of the markings on the base of the cartridge casing in order to assist the process of identification.

I'm not aware that the German navy was using such a calibre weapon (model 1910?) during the Great War period - hopefully I'm proved wrong.

There's no German 76mm gun listed in Norman Friedman's Naval Weapons of World War One: Guns, Torpedoes, Mines and ASW weapons of All Nations.

Standard German field artillery equipment was the  7.7cm FK '96.  Not many miles off.  Most German ship board artillery was either  8.8  or 105cms.  Did the Seebataillons or matross units have artillery support?  Another stab in the dark from me.  

The casing is marked 1910 which is problematic, as it takes it away from any mainstream artillery piece. I was thinking that it could perhaps have been manufactured for use by the Matrosen Artillerie Brigade (Marinekorps Flandern). Possible an anti-aircraft weapon of some sort, used for defending their large calibre gun emplacements. But that's just a guess.

Poltie Magdeburg were making similar size casing for field artillery too.

My first guess, somewhat coloured by the position of the fingers, was tgat it would turn out to be a smaller piece. Like a 5,28 cm  L/55.

After getting the measure I also thought in the lines of Marinekorps.

I’ll ask for confirmation of the measurement!

Thanks so far for all input! So far!

Lars

Hi Lars,

According to "The Kaiser's U-Boote" by Jean-Philippe Dallies-Labourdette from "October 1914 onwards , a 75 or 88mm deck gun was added to certain submarines and replaced at the end of 1916 with a 105mm piece".  I have no idea when the 75mm gun came into service but it might be a candidate for your friend's cartridge?

Regards,

Michael. 

On 21/01/2020 at 04:08, Gunner Hall said:

Standard German field artillery equipment was the  7.7cm FK '96.  Not many miles off.  Most German ship board artillery was either  8.8  or 105cms.  Did the Seebataillons or matross units have artillery support?  Another stab in the dark from me.  

The Seebataillon at Tsingtao had FK 96 or FK 96 n.A. in their artillery batteries.

8 hours ago, The Dark said:

The Seebataillon at Tsingtao had FK 96 or FK 96 n.A. in their artillery batteries.

Thanks,-  You learn something every day here.  It's only recently I found out abourt the Seebatailillions,  and there doesn't seem to be much info about on their artillery (or any other!) support .    

Thanks all! If the Seebattalione had this fieldgun, it makes perfect sense for the cartridge to be stamped with Navy marks.

ATB,

Lars