Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 "Trench Art" Type Identity Disc

BeppoSapone

I have a WW1 "Trench Art" Type identity disc made from aluminium.

It is marked as having belonged to: "H M Melsom R.E.550026". All pretty normal so far.

However, the chain has a number of small round pieces of aluminium incorporated into it. These are marked: "L15", "L31", "L21", "L33" and "L32".

Anyone got any idea what this means? I will attach a scan. This scan did not come out too well, but it is probably clear enough to illustrate the identity disc.

post-23-1107981135.jpg

What immediately comes to mind is that these are the identification numbers of Zeppelin airships shot down over the UK. These airships had aluminium frames, and the components of the bracelet are made of aluminium, but that doesn't prove anything!

Tom

What immediately comes to mind is that these are the identification numbers of Zeppelin airships shot down over the UK. These airships had aluminium frames, and the components of the bracelet are made of aluminium, but that doesn't prove anything!

Tom

Thanks for that Tom. I had never thought of that one. I think you have got it right too. Here are a couple:

"L31 in Potter's Bar. The Victoria Cross was awarded to Royal Navy Flight Sub Lieutenant Warneford for shooting down L31. Zeppelin L32 was shot down by 2nd Lt Sowerby of No.39 home defence squadron Royal Flying Corps on 23rd September 1916."

Anyone ever heard of writing the numbers of "downed" Zeps on to identity discs?

Beppo,

There was a significant trade in souvenirs like this made from bits of those damned 'baby-killers'. Not seen one like this, referring to several zepps, rather than just the one that the item is made from (purportedly) but I suppose this was a natural extension, to commemorate a string of successes.

If one was being 'romantic', you could imagine the owner adding the individual discs in the aftermath of each victory....but somehow I doubt it !!

All the same, a very nice piece. It would look great framed up with contemporary postcards of each of the zepps mentioned (so there's a little project for you !!!).

Thanks for sharing this

Jim

Jim

Thanks for that.a very good idea. I think I shall probably obtain pics of the Zeps in question and frame them as you suggest.

I have had that item years, and never even thought about it, much less realised the Zeppelin connection. Another success for the "Baker Pals" :D

Beppo,

A very interesting and desirable piece - quite a few Zeppelin collectors would like that I must say. Any provenance or just something you picked up?

Beppo,

A very interesting and desirable piece - quite a few Zeppelin collectors would like that I must say. Any provenance or just something you picked up?

Giles

No provenance at all I am afraid. I probably picked it up for 50p or so in the Saturday morning market in Brighton. I have far too many tags to remember exactly.

I have been collecting dog tags etc for more than 30 years, but am only now starting to research them on the net.

Did you see my query about Lt Col Nicholas Engels US WW1 discs? Pal Neil Burns actually sent me a photo of the man, as well as his service details. :D

BeppoSappone:

Have you downloaded HH Melsom's MIC?

http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...&resultcount=26

Not yet Andrew, but thanks for the link. Saves me looking it up.

Like many others here, my problem is that I am working on 5 or 6 'projects' at once. Some breakthrough this morning with the local "War Memorial" work, so the identity discs have suffered!

Still, it will all get done eventually. :D