Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Russians on the Western Front

marina

Also, I found an article from 1918 in the Toronto Star. He told the reporter that he was just fed up of standing in the mud up to his waist all day.

"I was so fed up standing in the trench with water to my waist that I said the hell with it and started after the German army.

My captain tried to shoot me because he figured I was deserting. "

This might be a bit of a tale: he won the VC in late August; I don't think the hot summer weather would have promoted waist-deep water. I'm sure like most Allies he stood in water filled holes, but not in August.

You never know though, he could have been in the unlucky platoon who got the deepest, most poorly drained position on the Lens front. :o

What would be the reason for this difference in maintenance?

Erwin.

A one word answer... rotation. The French wargraves lot tend to spend money/work on one area at a time in rotation.

That isn't entirely the case, as far as I can make out. The funding for the French cemeteries seemingly comes from a departement (county) source; some department spend more on cemeteries than others. Thus some are in better condition than others, and are renovated more often.

I have tried many times to get to the bottom of this - would welcome any input from our French members?

Also, I found an article from 1918 in the Toronto Star.  He told the reporter that he was just fed up of standing in the mud up to his waist all day.

"I was so fed up standing in the trench with water to my waist that I said the hell with it and started after the German army.

My captain tried to shoot me because he figured I was deserting. "

This might be a bit of a tale: he won the VC in late August; I don't think the hot summer weather would have promoted waist-deep water. I'm sure like most Allies he stood in water filled holes, but not in August.

You never know though, he could have been in the unlucky platoon who got the deepest, most poorly drained position on the Lens front. :o

Ah, well, old soldiers have a way with their stories ;) ...we understand and love them just the same!

Marina

Guest Benoit Douville

Marika,

I just read the account of Filip Knowal, quite an interesting story and what a great soldier he was, killing 16 German soldiers before he was seriously injured! He really deserved the Victoria Cross.

Regards

What would be the reason for this difference in maintenance?

Erwin.

A one word answer... rotation. The French wargraves lot tend to spend money/work on one area at a time in rotation.

That isn't entirely the case, as far as I can make out. The funding for the French cemeteries seemingly comes from a departement (county) source; some department spend more on cemeteries than others. Thus some are in better condition than others, and are renovated more often.

I have tried many times to get to the bottom of this - would welcome any input from our French members?

That is maybe part of the answer, but Rancourt is OK and that one wasn't, just a few kilometers away in the Somme area?

Erwin

Erwin,

I think that the more touristic (rancourt, verdun, notre dame de lorette) are better kept up than others where not so much tourists come. I think these three come first, and for the rest there can be a rotation tour? Only an idea.

pascal

Sounds acceptable, but the French national cemetery is just near the important Serre nr. 1 and 2 cemeteries and nearby Sheffield Park area.

Rancourt has no immediate wellknown British cemetery in it's neighbourhood. There is a small one, but I've not the impression it's often visited.

Erwin

Yes, but rancourt has a special meaning to the french, just like notre dame de lorette and verdun; it is somewhere where they commemorate the deads of the whole battle of the somme ( french) something like the menin gate and thiepval monument to the british. I think they do the upkeek for the french people to show them that the war graves are kept in good order; I dont think that the other cemeterys on the somme are visited that much. French war memorie goes more to verdun, chemin des dames, the marne and notre dame de lorette.

pascal

According to the French photographer who took this autochrome color picture in the ruins of Reims, these are Russian soldiers.

post-4-1108589375.jpg

Hello Marina

In addition to cemetery mentioned by Will O'Brien there is also a small memorial (attempt to attach photo) across the road.

post-4-1109110507.jpg

This small memorial asks French children to leave some flowers for them as well as the French dead. It's across he road form their cemetery & chapel.

I see that there are flowers there - that's a nice touch. I don't suppose that they get many visitors from Russia - good someone laid some flowers down for them.

Marina

• 9 months later...

Marina, I was just reading some pages in the regimental chronik of Infanterieregiment 49; it says for the 19 April 1917 when they were deployed at Aisne, Berry, height 91: after heavy artillery prep by the French they were attacked by genuine Russian troops in their distinct brown uniforms; 3 Russian Brigades involved -excellent fighters; they first believed they were colonial troops; when attack started at 16:00hrs, they realized : Russians; major attack with very bloody man-against-man fighting; Russians were trapped with no more connectivity to own lines; all 3 brigades were destroyed , rest POW; "Russians fought very brave and gave no pardon - we neither"...

Egbert, dont forget the Czechs had 2 divisions with the Czech legion fighting in France. These troops your article mentioned could of been Czechs. They have several memorials in that area. I have an incredible photo of a Czech soldier memorial, I wil try and find and post!

As I heard the story, the Czar sent two brigades to the Wrstern front to show solidarity.

After the revolution, one brigade mutinied and the mutiny was put down by the other brigade.

If you look in the chapel at their cemetery, you will see a poppy wreath that Christina Holstein laid a a ceremony some years ago. They were so tickled by it, they hung it on the wall!

Hi Egbert,

I checked With Snow on Their Boots and on April 17, 1917 the Russians were attacking atCourcywith their 6th Regiment. Russian casualties are given at 20%. No other action is mentioned for that day.

Take care,

Neil

Thanks to all for interesting info and the great pics. Illuminating. No quareter sounds awful, Egbert.

In case anyone is interested, James Meek's novel 'The People's Act Of Love' features remnants of the Czech Legion in Siberia in 1919.. A really good read.

Marina

Marina. My wife is Czech and her Grandfather fought with the legion on the Eastern front. She would love to get this book! Can you advise on where to buy please? :) I have another czech memorial photo, as soon as I can locate, I will post!

Chris;

Looking under "Meek, James" in abebooks.com , I got 130 hits. The hits below were the least expensive.

The People's Act of Love (ISBN:0002006251)

Meek, James

Bookseller: BookCloseOuts.com

(Lewiston, NY, U.S.A.) Price: US$ 5.99

[Convert Currency] Shipping within U.S.A.:

US$ 4.00

[Rates & Speeds]

Book Description: HarperCollins Publishers. Hardcover. Multiple copies available. Good to VG condition with small mark on edge. Bookseller Inventory # 0002006251

[bookseller & Payment Information] [More Books from this Seller]

The People's Act of Love (ISBN:1841957305)

Meek, James

Bookseller: Bookarudy

(Rutherford, NJ, U.S.A.) Price: US$ 6.00

[Convert Currency] Shipping within U.S.A.:

US$ 3.00

[Rates & Speeds]

Book Description: Cannongate, 2006. SOFT COVER. Book Condition: Fine. First Edition. ADVANCE UNCORRECTED PROOF. Bookseller Inventory # 005165

[bookseller & Payment Information] [More Books from this Seller]

abebooks.com , at any given time, lists 70,000,000 used books available at stores and dealers around the world. Aside from buying, a great way to check out info on a book, scarcity, availability, etc.

Bob Lembke

Help! Chris pointed me to a place on the site which told what happened to Russian soldiers on the Front after the Revolution.  I want to check the story and can't find it agian.  Any one know where it is?

Marina

Here are some sites, the Remaining Russians were after the revolution grouped in the Russian Legion (La Legion Russe)

http://members.aol.com/begemot/legion/lrhome.htm

http://batmarn2.club.fr/russians.htm

http://emigrationrusse.com/en/index.php?op...&task=view&id=2