Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with original location of bodies now in Guards Cemetary, Lesbouefs

Polar Bear

Can anyone help me with where the collection of burials described as originally being at the following coordinates was:

57c. T. 16. d. 4. 7.

I ask because this summer I would like to visit the spot as there is a perfectly reasonable chance that one of the 'unknown British soldiers' that were buried there was my great, great uncle. (One of those named in that collection appears to have been killed by the same shell/ artillery barrage as he was). Obviously it is only a chance but I would still like to pay my respects in case my hunch (and it is no more than that) is correct.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Edited by Polar Bear
spelling words correctly tends to help

Hi Polar Bear, http://preview.tmapper.com gives this as south of Morval.  Street View from the D 11E1 roadway shows the Orchard and follow the left edge of the green crops to your actual location, 50.023856, 2.867662.

image.png.8d24e3e6a815b6cf70debcfdfa65df7f.png

Thank you so very much for that as I couldn't make head nor tails of the map reference.

It also makes a certain amount of sense given what my Great,Great Uncle was doing that day. Certainly it is relatively near where I thought it might have been.

one of my relative buried there also in rha:poppy:

1 hour ago, BIFFO said:

one of my relative buried there also in rha:poppy:

If you want when I hopefully go over there this summer (my parents frail health depending) I am more than willing to say hello/ pay my respects at his grave. If you do wish this simply PM me his details and I will do so.

Hello,

thank you for your kind offer,as you can see I have been over and given him a"pat"its a concentration cemetery me relation K.I.A,at transloy ridges presumably by counter artillery fire,then post war brought to lebourfes,bit strange really as most concentration cemetery's are large,this one not

gunner thomas65.JPG