Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mills bomb fragment?

ryandunny

Hi all, does anyone know what this fragment piece I found on the Somme could be? The grooves remind me of the inside of a mills bomb but the outside is smooth rather than the rectangular pieces. Thanks!, Ryan. 

IMG_20200117_090225.jpg

IMG_20200117_090239.jpg

15792518903395033060207253373893.jpg

Greetings from the forest of Sherwood.

I always find this sort of thing really interesting. My feeling is that it is  a shell fragment ,but that is just an opinion based on the photographs.

Old Robin Hood

• Admin

A bit of nose cone I think. 

Michelle 

Thanks both! Yeah that was my first though too until I saw the grooves on the mills bomb are very similar so got me wondering! But yes, your probably right about being a  bit of nose cone... I find it really fascinating too, Old Robin Hood! 

Aren't those grooves for threading the thing into place? In which case a nose cone!

3 hours ago, trajan said:

Aren't those grooves for threading the thing into place? In which case a nose cone!

Yeah. But the mills bomb had a similar one so just got me wondering. My first thought was a nose cone untill I saw this and second guessed but pretty sure it's a nose cone after everyone's comments. Thanks all 

Screenshot_20200117_192152_com.android.gallery3d.png

Screenshot_20200117_192138_com.android.gallery3d.png

I think, and I'm no metallurgist, but Mills bombs were cast iron and shattered, the fragments retaining original shape. Steel and brass deforms and rips in an explosion. The deformation and sharp edges on your piece point away from it being a Mills fragment.

3 hours ago, ServiceRumDiluted said:

I think, and I'm no metallurgist, but Mills bombs were cast iron and shattered, the fragments retaining original shape. Steel and brass deforms and rips in an explosion. The deformation and sharp edges on your piece point away from it being a Mills fragment.

Agree 100%

4 hours ago, ServiceRumDiluted said:

19 hours ago, Gunner Bailey said:

Shell fragment IMHO.

Agreed.  A piece of shell fragment.  Too thick for Mills bomb casing.  

Shell fragment that brass fuse screws into.

IMG_3345.JPG

Edited by Mickjam
forgot pic

On 18/01/2020 at 08:46, ServiceRumDiluted said:

Ahhh. Interesting. Thanks for this.