Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Roll notation / abbreviation query

Trav

I'm just going over some notes tonight and wondered what the pencilled "OHW" signifies on this medal roll (my Grandfather's).

Has anyone seen this before? Any ideas? I was focussed on the red ink KR 992, which I believe I understand now, but I hadn't given the pencil entry much thought.

Any suggestions appreciated. 🙂

OHW.jpg

It has been the subject of debate in the past, I'm not sure if anyone has cracked it. I'm sure someone else will know.

Craig

and it not just this note, there are lots of admin notes that havent been explained - I have a whole book with hundreds of numbers and names and no one here can work it out!

Thanks for the input! Maybe this one will remain a mystery then. I wondered if they were simply an officer's initials as he checked something off, who knows?

Cheers again 👍

Where these annotations appear they are AFAIK either an X or an O followed by initials, in this case HW. As opposed to OHW.

A fair few forum posts on these annotations but no agreement as to what they mean.

TEW

Thanks again. I hadn't realised (when I posted) it was these notations that others had queried!

Initially, I read the notation underneath as SWB, so thought OHW may be as obvious to someone here. 🙂