Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private 3285 / 241521 Victor Hawkins, Hampshire Regiment

HTSCF Fareham

I was hoping that someone might be able to shed some light on who this chap was and his history. I have a MC with his name on which shows he was awarded the Victory and British medals.

I am researching all the names of the fallen on the Fareham War Memorial in Hampshire and I have strong feelings that this chap might be one of those listed. I already have a Private 12931 John (aka Jack) Appleton Hawkins and a Private 7423 Sidney Victor Hawkins, both of the Hampshire Regiment and both sons of the Late James and Hannah Hawkins of Fareham.

Any insight would be very much appreciated!

No Victor Hawkins listed in soldiers died in the great war with these numbers 3285/241521

nothing on his Medal Index Card either about being a casualty

Hmm, I was wondering if he died post war? This would still fit as the memorial wasn't unveiled until July 1921.

sadbrewer, is this the same person ? from memory looking last night not the same number

12 hours ago, HTSCF Fareham said:

Hmm, I was wondering if he died post war? This would still fit as the memorial wasn't unveiled until July 1921.

There are no Victor Hawkins of the right possible age shown as dying in England between 1914 and 1930 according to Freebmd.

Just a thought...could I ask if you've actually seen the name on the war memorial?

The reason I ask is that the online Fareham Roll of Honour shows the name,

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Hampshire/Fareham.html

but the parish War Memorial site doesn't. 

http://www.htscf.org.uk/history/war_memorial.html

As an aside he is shown in a 1914 entry on Forces War Records...unfortunately I don't have a subscription to see what information they have.

Edited by sadbrewer

7 hours ago, sadbrewer said:

There are no Victor Hawkins of the right possible age shown as dying in England between 1914 and 1930 according to Freebmd.

Just a thought...could I ask if you've actually seen the name on the war memorial?

The reason I ask is that the online Fareham Roll of Honour shows the name,

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Hampshire/Fareham.html

but the parish War Memorial site doesn't. 

http://www.htscf.org.uk/history/war_memorial.html

As an aside he is shown in a 1914 entry on Forces War Records...unfortunately I don't have a subscription to see what information they have.

I need to clear this one up.

I am responsible for the parish War Memorial site as unfortunately, the Fareham Roll of Honour has so many mistakes. This was the reason that I started again with a completely blank canvas.

There is a V Hawkins, Hampshire Regiment on the actual memorial. But, until now, I have thought that this may have been an error and actually be a duplicate for Sidney Victor Hawkins. That was until I stumbled across the MC mentioned in my original post. And so we have run full circle.

8 hours ago, George Rayner said:

This MC is different to the one that I have (see attached), although one of the service numbers is the same!

Victor Hawkins.pdf

its a MIC (medal index card) not MC - MC is the Military Cross :)

• Admin
2 hours ago, HTSCF Fareham said:

This MC is different to the one that I have (see attached), although one of the service numbers is the same!

Victor Hawkins.pdf 140.16 kB · 0 downloads

There is a Victor George Hawkins born 1900, which if he entered theatre in March 1918 as shown on the other card, accords with eighteen and a half year old soldiers with six months training being sent to France.  He was from Shirley, South Stoneham, Hampshire. He died in 1986.

I notice Sidney V. (1891 Census) became Victor in the 1901 Census.  I assume you have seen the Militia attestation for him on FMP, transferring to the Hampshire Regiment 20/02/1905.

Ken

Victor George Hawkins would not fit the criteria for the Memorial, so I am happy to rule him out.

Yes, I had seen the Militia Attestation document on FMP.

Thanks!