Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/8th Royal Scots November 1916

andrew pugh

Good Morning

I have just been reading a portion of the 1/8th Royal Scots and come across an entry for the night of the 13th/14th November 1916. It say the following; Continue the communication trench from Sap R to the German front line. This was finished and the trench dug to the crater and so to the front German line. Does this have anything to do with the Hawthorn Crater after the 2nd blow and part of the consolidation of that crater? Recently my brother and I were successful in identifying an unknown soldier of the 1/8th Royal Scots.Some members of the family will be attending a re dedication service for him on the 24/03/2020 in Bancourt British Cemetery, and we want to show them some of the locations where their Grandfather fought, so i am in the process of trying to put an itinerary together. One of the places on that itinerary is obviously Beaumont Hamel because they were part of the 51st Highland Division.But there may be a bit more of the story to tell them if they were involved in the capture of the crater. Hope someone can help advise me about the quote from the war diary concerning the crater.

Kind Regards

Andy.    

Afternoon,

Just dropped you line which might help - but I guarantee nothing....

Simon

The war diary https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7354759 has decent entries on 13/14th and 14/15th and refers to the "trench to be used as a jumping off place for the attacking troops the following morning".  It appears this was a late piece of info which required a change of an original plan.  51 Div HQ Ops diary WO 95/2845  is well worth reading too, papers are a bit muddled, with some 1917 months preceding 1916 months!

Max