1914 maps of Belgium are these military

arantxa

To have about 40 of these are they military 

5BBFEF46-E80F-4F84-84A4-128C582571B4.jpeg

E6A85A4C-193F-497C-BA4B-819B87A0ABD0.jpeg

05B8D8A5-8BEF-432B-85C2-8F77A3384914.jpeg

57E51157-0296-4D7A-AE47-147509B0FE36.jpeg

B506811C-B356-4096-8A25-5026B3874DA2.jpeg

As they are dated pre start of the war, I suspect they were civilian maps held in a library,  school or council office. They would then have been collected up after the outbreak to stop assisting invading forces. Looks like a set rather than a few area maps like the trench map sets  that can be bought nowadays. Not a clear enough picture to try to pick out key establishments such as bases, early airfields etc.

In those days, that kind of maps was mainly meant for the military or for other officials. I am doubtful whether these were ever available to the public. The maps are the standard 1/20.000 series, which both the Germans and the Allies later used for the basic data during the war.

Even today in Belgium, 1 in 20,000 maps are regarded as a military secret. Some years ago I needed a whole series of maps for walks I was organising in the Ardennes, so I went to a shop in the town across the border from me.

"Oh no", they said, "We aren't allowed to sell those maps, they're a military secret. You have to get them from the Tourist Office". And it wasn't a joke. You do have to get them from a Tourist Office. Problem is that each Office only sells the maps for its area. To get the whole Ardennes you have to go to each individual Office.

It took me a whole day driving to get them.

That's Belgium.

It may be relevant that the Belgian Ordnance Survey was evacuated to Britain, complete with its printing plates, at the outbreak of war in 1914, and apparently co-located with our OS at Southampton. This meant that the BEF could very quickly be provided with accurate maps of Belgium, on which later British map revisions were based.

Ron

Thank you.  It was just one of those oddity’s I bought an auction on a whim 

arantxa

Well I seems to have 4  Secret Maps!

I bought them to trace my Grandfathers route through Belgium in the lead up to the Armistice.

Unfortunately I have been unable to locate one place 'Nagun/Noyun' or similar (its difficult to read his Diary entry).

I suspect the name may have changed since 1918, so I have been looking out for wartime maps. The are in question is South of Mons along the Belgium /France border from

Athis to Quevy-Le-Petit. Do any of your maps cover this area.

Bob

I will have a look over the weekend and let you know