Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

General De Lisle speech

Robuk88

I've been watching alot of WW1 footage as i have booked another trip back to the Somme and curious if anyone know what General De Lisle speech was to the men the night before the attack on the 1st July. Just intrigued by what one would hope to be an inspirational speech. All i can guess is it would be something about this been the final push and they would all be home before christmas but that would only be a guess. Thanks Troops.

Is this the speech he gave from horseback? Somewhere I've seen an 'official' transcription of his speech and more recently a copy of his speech in a unit diary, probably 7th Division or brigade of, or battalion of.

The two didn't quite match up but it is along the lines of 'don't worry, it'll be a walk over'.

Will see if I can find the diary version tomorrow.

TEW

I've read quotes from the de Lisle speech to the 1st Lancashire Fusiliers near Mailly-Maillet.  ( If that is the one to which reference is being made. ) It's noted at NA WO 95/2300.  Nothing about "over by Christmas" or "a walk over".  

Here's an excerpt: "...To you has been [given]...the most difficult task.  That of breaking the hardest part of the enemy's shell.  And I expect you to break that shell in the German first system of trenches.." 

I think he also referenced the Fusiliers' accomplishments at Gallipoli, and called upon them to maintain that spirit in the coming fight (he addressed both the 2nd Fusiliers and also the Lancashire Fusiliers).