The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

4th Bn AIF Lagnicourt 15 Apr 1917

CharlesJohnston

Charles,

You can view his service papers here:

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/ItemDetail.asp?M=0&B=1954203

Looks like he was wounded at Gallipoli was transferred to hospital in the UK and then applied for a medical discharge to return to his home on the Isle of Man. This was refused by the powers that be and he was invalided to Australia. He then returned to the UK after another med board found him fit for service and was later KIA. Sad story and it looks like this lad was trying to make his way home to the IOM. I suggest you PM or E-mail Manxman on the forum about this lad. He may be able to help with some local knowledge.

Rgds

Tim D

Thanks, guys.

I'd already found his service papers. Making the records of servicemen KIA available like this is a worthy show of respect by Australia for its servicemen - an example other countries should follow. But the Official History was a new site and provides a good account of the action at Lagnicourt. But does anyone know if the Battalion diary is available?

He was from the Isle of Skye and by 1917 two of his brothers had been KIA, so it's understandable he wanted to return to his family.

Charles

Try e-mailing the Research Centre at the Australian War Memorial. They should be able to point you in the right direction.

Rgds

Tim D

The AWM has the 4th Bn's diary and the AWM Research Centre has kindly checked the microfilm of the diary for me. Unfortunately, the quality of the microfilm is poor and the entry for 15 April is illegible. This means the diaries need to be brought to the AWM's reading room (requires three weeks notice) to be studied. As I live in Europe and can't readily do this, I would be grateful if anyone taking the 4th Bn diary out of storage at some stage could take a copy of the entry for 15 April. Naturally, I'll pay any additional expense.

Will try and remiond myself - I will be at the AWM later this year (for my annual jaunt) but may need reminding - particulalry at or about September (I will be there in October for the Chief of Army Histroy Conference).

Hopefully someone will be there before though - it would be a long wait otherwise....

Cheers

Edward

Thank you, I'll be most grateful for any help.

Incidentally, I've received a further e-mail from the AWM saying that "As the quality of much of the microfilm is poor, we plan to digitise the unit diaires, AWM4 in the next year or so." I guess that means scanning them to PDFs. I'm greatly impressed by the effort the AWM makes!

• 6 years later...

Just to conclude this old thread. The Battalion diary is now available online at the AWM. If anyone is interested, I can provide a transcription of the 4th Bn A.I. diary for 15 April 1917, relating to the German attack on the Boursies-Demicourt line that the Battalion held off.