Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with this Lincolnshire soldier please

Redman

Hi

the attached photo is from the family archive. I managed to put a name to him yesterday.

CJ Street of the 8 th Lincolnshire. Unfortunately it is much easier to identify soldier when they lost their lives in the war.

my question is why might he be wearing spurs and different type of 'riding trousers/ breeches'.

kind regrads

dan

IMG_3602.JPG

Good morning

the only CJ Street I can find with Lincolnshire was KIA in 1917 #13203

Do you have his full name, DOB etc?

George

I would suggest that the picture is posed and what he is wearing made for a better picture

canes seem to be popular in photos

Could be a battalion driver (for horse drawn transport). 

Michael

spacer.pngSquirrel and Michael both hit the nail on the head. Each infantry battalion had a transport ‘section’ (which was then a larger type of sub unit than today), under the battalion’s Transport Officer, who was usually deputised by a sergeant. Together they were responsible for the unit’s small fleet of horse drawn G.S. Wagons, the officers’ mess Maltese Cart and the government supplied chargers for the QM, Adjutant and field officers.  The TO worked closely with the QM and was generally billeted close by him.

1DEA6418-DE17-4CD8-AA7C-8E84E7B6BE0D.jpeg

F6D143C3-7266-45D1-BB3A-F5BB2318D4E6.jpeg

ED5ACE5D-CB92-49FD-BF16-24CFA3A54778.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

My Grandfather worked for the horse transport section of the 8th Lincs. so he would probably have known the chap in the photo.

Michael

1 hour ago, KizmeRD said:

My Grandfather worked for the horse transport section of the 8th Lincs. so he would probably have known the chap in the photo.

Michael

The first photo of those I posted above is Lincs, but I don’t know which battalion.

Christopher Joseph was 13203 and medal roll shows as 8 Lincs

Edited by Mark1959

Frogsmile, I would have previously assumed that the men wearing bandoliers in the first of your photos was a good indication that they belonged to a yeomanry regt., but the cap badges clearly show them to be Lincs. infantry. (Great photos).

FYI my GF was a pre-war regular soldier, originally with the 1st bn. Lincs. but returned to the UK after getting shot (27/2/15). After recovering he was sent back to France with the 8th bn. (only to be injured again sometime towards the end of the year). They let him work in the battalion transport because his previous injuries had left him with limited arm movement (and because he was used to handling farm horses).

Thx, Michael

Edited by KizmeRD

Dan

My gf served with 8 Lincs and was captured at Loos on 26/09/1915. I have a picture of him wearing the same type of Jacket (no pocket pleats or rifle shoulder pads). He is also carrying a swagger stick. He enlisted in Lincoln in September 1914 and went to France with the Bn on 10/09/1915, the same date as Christopher Street. Christopher must have gone through the Battle Of Loos but he is not named in the list of missing (Times OCL 02/11/1915). 

Brian