Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Boer War photograph

SFayers

Hi folks,

I know this is pre-WWI but I figured there may be some pals out there who could help. The attached image shows my gg grandfather William George Scarff (standing left wearing the forage cap) with some of his comrades around the time of the Boer War. I know he was a reservist in the Suffolk regiment (12th Foot) - and I think one of the other guys here (standing on the right) is wearing what appear to be Suffolk regiment collar badges. Can any one tell me what the crossed axes on the sleeves might mean?

Also can anyone tell me the best avenue of approach for researching pre-WWI Suffolk regiment servicemen? Do service records exist?

cheers

Steve

Scarff2.jpg

The crossed axes means they were pioneers...infantrymen trained for minor engineering tasks.

Rgds

Tim D

Steve

I believe that I have another photo of the man standing next to you great great grandfather in one of my books at home.

I am currently at work but will check when I get home at the weekend. If it is the same man I may be able to give some further details.

Dave

Thanks guys,

I got carried away with the 'greats' - the chap in the photo is actually my great grandfather!

Steve

Sorry unable to help - my photo is not the same man.

Dave